Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot print in color with my HP 4655 office jet in Microsoft Word or Excel.  I have gone through the steps of unistalling and reinstalling the printer and drivers with no success. It will print a color page from a website but there is no option to select color in printing preferences within Word.  In a MIcrosoft forum I found a comment that an HP service rep was able to find and correct this driver problem with the individual but that the driver that loads from the HP site does not address this issue.  This process also involved the HP rep taking control of the users computer and making sereral selections during the intall process.    Looking for advice in finding the proper driver and instructions to resolve this issue.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@djett,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support community!

• Are you able to make copies from the printer in color?

Let's try these steps:

Step 1: Update Microsoft Word/Excel and Windows

• Check if there are any updates available from excel/word and windows and update it
  • Try to print again
  • If the issue persists, proceed to the next step

Step 2: Remove and re-install the printer driver

• In Windows, search for 'Control Panel' and open 'Programs' or 'Programs and features' and select 'Uninstall a Program'.
  • Select your HP Printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for 'Control Panel' and look for 'View devices and printers'option under 'Hardware and Sound'.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'.
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)
  • Click on the "Drivers" tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select Ok.
  • Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
  • Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Download the printer driver and install it from this link or manually search for drivers from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/printers.
  • Open the downloaded file, follow onscreen instructions and complete installation
  • Try printing from Word/Excel
  • If the issue persists, proceed to the next step

Step 3: Update the printer firmware

• Refer to this link to update the printer firmware.

Let me know if this information helps. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have followed all the above recommended steps and it did not resolve the issue.  (1) I am able to copy in color from the printer, (2) I am able to print from my WIndows PC in color from a web-stie (3) I cannot print in color from Microsoft Word or Excel, (4) Miscrosoft states this is an issue with the HP print driver

HP Recommended

@djett,

Have you tried printing from a different application? Does it print in color?

Please check the print driver settings.

Refer to this document.

If you have selected the correct settings and if the issue still persists, try adding the printer to windows using built-in drivers.

Go to control panel > Devices and Printers > right click on the printer > Remove device.

Add the printer again using built-in drivers.

Refer to this document for adding the printer using built-in drivers.

Let me know what happens.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.