Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6500A Plus All-in-On
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've used the webscan funtion on this printer for years with absolutely no problem.  Scan to PDF or JPEG, from the platter or ADF, all has worked exactly like it was advertised to. 

...until today...

The last time I used the STC feature was probably around Christmas, nearly 5 months ago.  Today it appears to scan but has either no preview or a funky dark one.  But it appears to complete and gives me the option to save or save-as which seems also to work just fine.  

However, when I try to open the resultant PDF file it displays about half the first page and then I get an Adobe error saying that it encountered an error while attempting to read the stream.  There appears to be nothing else in the file after where it encounters the error.  I've tried using Edge, Chrome and IE.  With Chrome I never get the option to save the scan.  With Edge it works as described above.  With IE it is almost the same as Edge with the addition of giving me the Adobe read stream error from the preview window.

If I initiate the scan from the printer itself the resultant scan created on the PC is perfect -- full scan, good quality and is read and displayed properly by the Adobe PS reader.

Other than the weekly updates to Windows 10 during this period I recently updated to the Creator's Update of Windows 10.

I've seen a few similar issues posted between 9-2016 and the end of the year.  Only one actually said they solved the problem and that was by updating the printer's firmware.  My firmware is current and is the same FW that was in the printer the last time it worked correctly. 

Does anyone know why when the scan is initiated from the computer the resultant file is corrupt/incomplete but if initiated from the printer it is perfect?  Or some suggestions for possible further investigation?

Thanks in advance,

Howard

Redmond, WA

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Howard_Woodard

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the scanned files are corrupted while scanning from the PC, however, it works fine while scanned from the printer,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you check for any other HP Forum posts to help resolve your concern?

If you haven't, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

(Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern).

Keep me posted 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.