Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP7855
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried CLEANING out ALL HP Printer programs and devices and even some Registry items.

I then did an Install with "10/18/2019 03:23 PM 205,554,336 EN7800_Full_WebPack_44.4.2678.exe" on Windows 10 V1903 Home.

I can Print and I can Scan, but I can't run HP's Print and Scan Dr. as sometimes it seems to fail.

When I look at the 7855 Properties I see it needs "further processing"?

Capture.JPG

I also in Devices and Printers can NOT set the HP7855 to be the DEFAULT:

Capture1.JPG

You'll also note that the 'icon' is wrong.

This did work before on the this PC (it is wirelessly connected to my router) but I couldn't open the ToolBox (see thread https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Major-7855-re-Install-problems-was-workin... which has had no responses). The other PC (same W10 release but Pro) worked find other than the HP Print and Scan Dr. can never find the printer but it prints and scans fine and can even open the Toolbox?

Anyone have some suggestions? Are 'true HP people' here or is it all end-users?

I've scoured the web for the errors I saw and any things like this. What I have found is of no help or I had tried the 'usual' remove/install processes.

HELP!!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @ispalten

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the printer driver issue. 

I'd suggest try restarting the print spooler - 

1. Turn off the printer using the power button.
2. Search Windows for run, and click the Run Windows application in the list of results.
3. Type services.msc in the Run window, and then press Enter on the keyboard.
The Services menu opens.
4. Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop.
5. After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.
6. Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.
7. Restart your computer.
8. Turn on your printer.
9. Try printing again.

And then, try a root level uninstall and re-install - 

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".
2. Look for HP Printer software.
3. Right-click to uninstall.
4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.
5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.
6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.  
7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).
8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.
9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.
10. Select Ok.
11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.
12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.
13. Restart the computer.
14. Download and install the software and drivers from here for Windows 10 (64-bit).
15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Asmita.

I guess I wasn't too clear. I did say above "I can Print and I can Scan, but I can't run HP's Print and Scan Dr. as sometimes it seems to fail." So printer usage is no problem. It is really the printer icon is wrong and I can't run HP's Print and Scan Dr. or the Toolbox as I can't open the real printer Icon and get to it or even see the Ink Level's as the printer Icon is wrong and when opened just wants to add another printer? Other PC, which is the same Windows version level (V1903) but is Pro (mine is Home) works fine (however it has been working for a long time OK as mine had been until recently, printer is just over 1 year old here)?

See my other links here, that actually has a lot of what I've gone through and tried (with no answers).

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Major-7855-re-Install-problems-was-workin... 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-Toolbox-0x83e8e8fc-error-on-HP-7855/m-p/7277172#M82... 

Most of those above I've managed to get around and be able to print. I did use the file to install you referenced to get to this point.

As far as I can tell the root problem happens to be the number of OLD HP printers I've had on this PC, an A310, HP7520, and a prior install of the HP7855 that for some reason no longer worked opening the Toolbox or seeing Ink Levels as documented in the first link above. Re-installing after that had PRINTUI /S showing 2 HP7855's, one with a (NET) after it, the other with a (NET#2) after it. I did do an Uninstall of the HP7855 before re-installing by the way so why I see two was a surprise to me?

I think I have remnants of both installs left on the PC? Is there a 'clean' tool or some printer removal tool? I've tried uninstalling with Advanced Uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller, and the W10 built-in Uninstall and then reinstalling the s/w each time. Can't get a complete install, well, actually I do, but it isn't complete even though Install claims it is installed. Even looked at the Registry for 'HP' and 'Envy' but after the uninstalls many entries are still there and I'm reluctant to remove any (both NET and NET#2 are there) as I know some would be replaced and others never used and are no harm. Like I said, even saw A310 and HP7520 entries in the Registry.

I even searched this forum for answers, found this one about hpzinw12.dll and hpzipm12.dll, https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Hp-3631/td-p/6789001, in message 6 to delete them (I renamed them, and they are from 8/6/2010 in C:\Windows\System32) and that didn't help.

Any suggestions to enable me to run the Toolbox and the Printer and Scan Dr. as well as 'complete' the install even though I can print and scan (have not tried to FAX though, not a real problem, I know the other PC can do that and we do it rarely).

HP Recommended

@Asmita6658,

This PC is really messed up as I've looked closer.

I opened up the Control Panel and Devices and Printers, saw this today:

Capture.JPG

I DO have the proper Icon for the printer there. When I click on it, this is what I get:

Capture1.JPG

If I click on HP Printer Assistant I can see the Ink Level's.

However back on Devices and Printers if I see WAY too many devices in the Properties:

Capture2.JPG

The Device Function Summary is IDENTICAL for all but the 2nd one in the list which is:

Capture4.JPG

Any idea what is actually going on here?

I can RUN the Dr. but under Fix Printing I get this continually:

Capture10.JPG

The Device Status error is a SCANNER FEDDED MISSPICK DETECTED and I've tried EVERYTHING to clear it? No jams, a Scan using the Feeder works fine, no idea why that is happening? When I try FIX SCANNER I get this:

Capture11.JPG

If I try to UPDATE F/W this happens:

Capture13.JPG

Which seems to indicate it has found the printer, but I CANNOT check the box, not with my mouse which can select the line as seen, nor with my keyboard? So I can't install the driver.

If I skip installing the driver the fix for scan results are OK but do mention I need to update:

Capture12.JPG

I didn't do the Test Scan as I know it works.

I also do not have the SYSTRAY icon that tells me when the scanner if turned off. Also I can't put the printer icon on my desktop on the taskbar as I like too, but the scanner Icon I can? When I try a NOT SIGN appears, I used to be able to do that:

HP Recommended

@ispalten

Did you try the latest version on HP Print and Scan Doctor? If you haven't download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor, it is a Windows tool to fix printer issues. 

Try adding a TCP/ IP port -

1) Power on the printer.
2) While on the desktop, press the Windows key and the X on the keyboard at the same time.

3) Click Control Panel in the list of options.

4) Click View devices and printers.

5) Click Add a printer at the top left of the window to start the installation wizard.

6) The computer searches for any printers connected to the network.

7) Select your printer from the list, and then click Next.

😎 Verify the input name, and then click Next.
9) Select the printer sharing options, and then click Next.
10) Printer successfully added. Click Print a test page to verify the correct connection.

11) Click Close to confirm the test page was received.

12) Click Finish to exit out of the installation wizard.

If the issue still persists, it could be because the PSDR is not compatible with some of the programs on your PC. That could explain why the PSDR is not correctly only on your computer.

The only thing I can suggest is to completely remove the program from your PC and then try reinstalling. You can try using the Microsoft Fix it an application which helps you in fixing the install / uninstall issues on your Windows PC. Learn more about it here.

Please note, HP Print and Scan Doctor is simply an automated tool designed to support and troubleshoot any print related issues. But this does not, in any way, is responsible for printing or scanning on your computer. Hence, it does not affect the printer functionality in any way.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Asmitam , thanks for the response.

Installing another printer? What would I do with the one(s) I have now? I did try adding, it couldn't find a printer (maybe because I still have it connected?)? Was reluctant to continue as I didn't know the port and like I said, adding the same printer isn't going to make the icon work or possible even add a Scanner with it?

In the past, more than once I've done uninstalls and installs. Never worked properly. At this time I do have print and scan capability...

What is PSDR?

I've run the MS Print Troubleshooter many times, always 'Checking the Spooler service for a long time, then finds the printers, I select the HP 7855 and then it quickly finishes, NO PROBLEM FOUND.

The Program Install/Uninstall Troubleshooter I've run after I've had problems and it never found anything before either.

I'll ask again, Are there ANY print removal tools or HP Printer Cleanup tools?

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying @ispalten

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this issue, they should be able to take a remote access to resolve this. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@asmita6658 wrote:

Thanks for replying @ispalten

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this issue, they should be able to take a remote access to resolve this. 

Have a great day! 

Thanks, but my printer is out of warranty by a few months. I can't contact them without paying. I'm not about to do that. Hoping to get support here.

HP Recommended

@ispalten

Perform a system file checker -

1) Select Start, and in the search box, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator.
2) Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the spaces before each "/").
3) Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").

Also, try updating the computer - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Asmita6658,

Sorry, I was remiss in not stating that I tried all that first. I have a lot of experience with Windows and Troubleshooting and that is the first thing I try when I hit a problem that could be OS related (run SFC and DISM), First time I did run SFC it found an error and couldn't fix it but DISM did. So we can rule that out. I have run it several times after that as well, and no problems found.

At this point I am really thinking there is some remnant of an old install left after an uninstall. Possibly a file that opens due to a service not deleted  or a write protected file not removed but should be replaced by a new install? If it were an open one then a reboot would have closed it and after I uninstall HP7855. Then it shouldn't restart and open so a new install would work, but it doesn't. So that is why I'm speculating on some process NOT uninstalled. The reason I'm looking for a 'cleaner' to remove all vestiges of any HP printer or application? Either that or a hint of where to look next?

At this point in time, I do have what appears to be most everything working. That is:

• I seem to have no problems printing from any application on the PC.
  • I can scan from the PC using the desktop icon.
  • I can open the Printer from the Control Panel icon.
  • From the Control Panel Printer opened I can get to the Printer using HP Printer Assistant.
  • From the HP Printer Assistant I can use all links and see the Ink Levels.

What doesn't work:

• I can NOT from HP Print and Scan Doctor ( a new version d/l'ed today, V5.3 and still has the same problems):
    • Install a new driver that it says it needs.
    • Fix the 'scan feeder Mispick detected' error, it thinks exists (feeder works fine).
    • Printer Fix states 'Port Match issue fixed' every time I run it, yet I can always print before I run this app?
    • Fix Scanner always fails if I select to load the new driver. It d/l's and tried to install and it does find the printer, but I can NOT select what it found, I can highlight the line, but no way to check the box to enable UPDATE.  If I skip this step of trying to install a new driver, it finds NO PROBLEMS with the Scanner.
  • ScanToPCActivationApp in Startup does NOT start.
  • Those Control Panel HP7855 printer icon's I can put on my Desktop, but CAN NOT add them to the TASKBAR (red circle with a diagonal bar appears) like I can with other desktop icons.

So I decided to go to my wife's W10 V1903 Pro (mine is Home don't forget) PC and test the Dr.

Now mind you I NEVER messed with her PC or Registry removing OLD printer remnants I found.

Her 'Dr.' updated to V5.3 as well but since it seems it still had old Printer remnants left the first screen where it 'found' printers looks like this:

Capture.JPG

Note the 'extra' printers... the 192.168.1.x printers (not in 'Blue'). These are older ones we had, the HP7520 removed about 15 months ago when it failed and was replaced (and s/w and drivers WERE removed by Windows Add/Remove) by the HP7855. Note the two HP7855's as well with two different IP Addresses and icons? Router with the 192.168.0.x was replacing the old router in August. Might be when I first started having the problem, not sure? However I think this points to the root problem, even though HP Printers (and Drivers) were removed, some remnants remain on the system, probably mostly in the Registry. I will NOT try PC Cleaner to get these out as I don't trust that program or any others to just do that. At least NOT without direct input from HP Support.

After running the 'Dr.' on her PC I have the SAME problems as I do running it from my PC:

Capture1.JPG

Same problem on the Scan Fix... can't install new s/w as you can't select the Printer it finds (only one printer found)? Wondering if it is finding one of the 3 that are NOT connected at all to the system and were removed? Yes, both PC's do NOT use the same mouse, so don't blame the mouse driver, my is a Logitech, hers is another vendor's mouse, both with different mouse drivers (not MS's).

Also, it seems the  ScanToPCActivationApp does start on her PC but when opened it states it can't locate the Printers? Probably why her PC never gets a pop-up telling her that the scanner is inactive (while I used to before I started all this?)? Turns out the app starting is in the old HP7520 folder (see below).

This is CLEARLY an Install problem, at least on my PC's (I do not want to try messing with her PC as other than the scan app, it all seems to work fine).

Further investigation on her PC discovers these facts:

• Checking these finds NO HP7520 on her PC:
    • Control Panel Add/Remove Programs, NO HP7520 found.
    • Device Manager, NO HP7520 Printer or Print Queue found.
  • Registry has NUMEROUS entries containing or referencing HP7520 though.
  • C:\Program Files\HP contains folders for both HP7855 and HP7520, i.e. Control Panel's link to UNINSTALL for the HP7520 DID NOT delete the HP7520 folder!
  • Using Advanced Uninstaller DOES show HP7520 can be removed, guess the UNINSTALL file was never removed either?
  • ScanToPCActivationApp points to the HP7520 BIN folder, the reason it doesn't work I guess. There is a DUPLICATE file in the HP7855 folder but it isn't in the STARTUP? 

Obviously there is some problems of old and new 'links' on her PC (and mine) due to OLD HP printers installed and removed prior to installing the HP7855.

Since I cleaned out my PC of old printer links and file locations, using Advanced Uninstaller on my PC does not see the HP7520 anymore. Possible at one time I might have used Advanced Uninstaller (or Revo Uninstaller) to remove the HP7520?

Is there ANY WAY you can contact Support for assistance for me? This appears to me to be an clear install problem due to 'junk' left over from old Printers that never was cleaned out?

Again, I ask is there an HP cleaner that will remove ALL traces of ANY HP product? Printers are the only HP products I have install?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.