Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 8610
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Since the firmware update my HP 8610 will not work anymore with third party cartridges. Why? And what is the solution? Where can I find a firmware downgrade to an older version?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@CNFFM 

Product Introduced in Mid-2014

Product Homepage

HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer series

There is nothing to be done in the sense that once updated, the firmware cannot be downgraded.

Interestingly (and not intended to incur your continued wrath) - the very Firmware update available at this writing removes any restrictions on using "third party" supplies.   See the "Description" on the Updater Website.

HP Officejet Pro 8610/8620/8630/8640/8660 and HP OfficeJet 8600 Series Printer Firmware Updater

Details

Type:  Firmware     

Version: 1828A             

Operating Systems: Windows 10 (64-bit           

Release date:  Aug 3, 2018             

File name:  OJP8610_1828A.exe (23.5 MB)

Unfortunately, that using non-HP supplies worked before does not mean it will continue to work:  The practice of using third party ink, while tolerated by some printers (like this one), is not supported.  Again, the statement is not meant to incur your wrath - messenger and all that. 

The problem MIGHT be coincidental, that is, maybe there is something indeed wrong with the cartridge.  ??  You could try another cartridge.

The solution is not as clear for a six year old printer -

• Replace the cartridge with another "non-HP" product,
  • Switch to HP ink , which might work,

OR

• The situation might simply warrant replacing the printer at this point. 

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I am facing the same issues, HP used to accept these same ink cartridges and now it suddenly won't. genuine ones work so it is not an issue with the printhead or the hardware.

Apparently HP is back to restrictions regarding third party ink, and they do not want to lower their own prices, which is not ok! For the price of 1 genuine hp cartridge, i buy 10 that are good quality ink cartridges from third party companies. i am using them at home, why should I buy 1 cartridge at 27$ that will hardly last me for so long? I am honestly regretting buying this product, it is not at all a good investment on the long term!

I was considering buying an HP tank printer once my 8610 is out of business, but now i am thinking of rather buying an Epson: same quality, genuine ink much cheaper, and it would be a much better investment overall.

Unless HP fixes this same dirty move it did in 2016, many like me will be abandoning HP, starting with printers, and perhaps continuing into laptops and other products.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.