Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Office jet Pro 8625
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PC was corrupted and shut down unexpectedly. Had to wipe hard drive clean and reinstall Windows 10. Once installed Printer would not work. Rensitalled software from support site and also from disk. Will not hookup to printer now. I have tried all three methods, USB, Ethernet and wireless. Keeps saying it can not install the software. I have unsitalled it numerous times. Even Micro soft support can not get it to work so far. Have had 3 different techs.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi! @tmusg2499, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you are unable to install the printer drivers on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%
Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted
Uninstall the software again - Uninstalling the Printer Software Instructions
When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.

Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
In the Open box, type msiexec /unregister, and then click OK.
Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK
 *Note: there is a space between the c and the /

If you have any difficulty with this step, please use this link to perform it another way. Restarting Windows Installer
Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool < How to Delete files using Disk Cleanup
Restart the computer
Download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows.

Let me know if this works!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I went through all these steps and it still does not want to connect to it. I am connecting wirlessly to many other devices and no problem printing or connecting. Something keeps it from communicating with the printer..

It shows the software installed and I have icon on my desk top. Just will not talk to each other. 

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot,

No matter which method of connection I use with the installer It comes back and say " printer connection unsuccessful". I went through all the steps you provided so far. I am using windows 10. It was reinstalled a week ago after it was  corrupted. Reinstalled windows and then reloaded my backup  files. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi! @tmusg2499, It's been great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Try installing the windows built in drivers and check if it helps.

Remove any icons for your printer from the Devices and Printers folder.
If your printer connects to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.
Turn the printer off and on again, and make sure that it is in a ready state.
Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.
Right-click the printer icon () for your printer, and then click Remove Device. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
If multiple icons exist for the printer, remove them all.

Refer this article to know more information about installing Windows built-in drivers.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.