Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
m1212nf
Linux

Hello,

for some reason version 3.19.1 does not install on Ubuntu 18.04. It stops on installing plugin stage. I can not use hp-plugin - it gives the same results.

I have installed 3.18.6 , it does see the printer but it displays warning messages about the communication being broken.

If someone has successfully solved this problem, please let me know. 

The printer was working 100% on Ubuntu 16.04.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

This is NOT a fix for HPLIP 3.19.1!

However this is away to install and get you working...

Make sure older / newer versions are removed / purged before continuing.

(Not sure if it's important but run: ' sudo rm -R /usr/share/hplip ' & ' sudo rm -R /var/lib/hp ')

Download:

hplip-3.18.4.run                      --->      [edit]

&

hplip-3.18.4-plugin.run       --->     [edit]

After running 'hp-plugin' from a command line terminal in the hplip-3.18.4 folder, use the manual install for the plugin and browse to the 'hplip-3.18.4-plugin.run' file.

If upgrading to the lastest version is important by all means continue to wait for support. Otherwise try this.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I had the same issue on a fresh install of Ubuntu 19.04. I reported a bug on Launchpad and found a solution myself. Feel free to have a look at the bug. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/1825717

Quick solution:

1. Go to https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/gethplip
  2. Download latest version for Ubuntu . At the time of writing latest version is 3.19.3
  3. it will download a hplip-3.19.3.run file, remember to change permissions to make it executable.
  4. remove hplip installed by your distribution repositories
  5. run hplip-3.19.3.run in a terminal, follow instructions on screen.
  6. Once installed, run hp-setup, follow the usual procedure, plugin installation will complete successfully.
  7. enjoy.

I hope this helps

Cheers

HP Recommended

On Ubuntu 19.04 I removed old HPLIP and installed hplip-3.19.5.

It finished the installation but every time I start up I get error message that there is no system tray detected on this system.

I downloaded hplip-3.19.5-plugin.run but it fails with the message below. It opens the plugin installer, but the window is blank.

X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
Extension: 130 (MIT-SHM)
Minor opcode: 1 (X_ShmAttach)
Resource id: 0x145
X Error: BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter) 128
Extension: 130 (MIT-SHM)
Minor opcode: 5 (X_ShmCreatePixmap)
Resource id: 0x3e00011
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
Resource id: 0x3e00012

HP Recommended

Followup: I ran hp-plugin command, and with help from here

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1813768

it succeeded, but... still no system tray.

HP Recommended

If you look at my comment #4, installation turns out to be quite easy even with packages included in distribution:

If you want to have GUI for HP management, you also need to install hplip-gui package

Additional Feedback.

I did a fresh install of ubuntu-budgie 19.04
1. installed hplip from repos (version 3.19.1)
2. ran hp-setup -i
3. went through the steps
4. install completed including plugin, can print and scan with no issue

HP Recommended

Indeed, I had a successful install on Kubuntu 19.04, but I still need support for my issue on plain Ubuntu 19..04. 

By the way, the driver in the repo does not seem to support print-to-fax, which is an important function for me.  That function is the only reason why I need the HP driver at all. Otherwise, I would be fine with CUPS.

HP Recommended

Hi, if you have issues with the gui software and only on stock ubuntu, please check if you are logging in with X11 or wayland.

Worth to check and logoff, login on X11, and see if GUI/notifications works fine there.

Regarding print-to-fax, I admit I never used it from my pc. But worth to make some tests.

HP Recommended

I installed KDE desktop in Ubuntu, and sure enough, the HP tray icon starts up just fine, no issues.

So it seems that the issue is with the Gnome desktop, rather than with underlying Ubuntu version. 

HPLIP is actually quite important in  KDE desktop, because there is a known issue with  advanced printer options in the  KDE GUI. 

HP Recommended

Install apparmor utils

sudo apt-get install apparmor-utils

Run hp-plugin

sudo aa-disable /usr/share/hplip/plugin.py

Run as normal user, not as root:

hp-plugin

now the printer will get installed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.