Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 5032
Microsoft Windows XP

How can I get the HP SCAN shortcut on my new computer (Dell 2019 Win XP) ? On my old computer I had an shortcut icon on the desktop that directed straight to the Scan panel of my Envy 5032, now all I can get is the HP Smart panel. I can't even find where the HP Scan .exe file is in the computer, even after searching with the 'hidden file' option activated, so I can't even create my own shortcut. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@eelbelga

In that case, you can try installing the full feature software and check.

Please click to download the full-featured software.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/HPEasyStart_11_0_4498_30.exe

Have a nice day!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@eelbelga

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

You wouldn't be able to get that option with Windows XP.

Try these methods of scanning:

• Printer control panel: If your printer has a touchscreen control panel with a Scan option, you can use it to scan to your computer or email.

• Microsoft Paint (All Windows versions): Search Windows for paint, and then open the Paint desktop app. Click File or the menu icon  , and then click From scanner or camera.

• Windows Fax and Scan (All Windows versions): Search Windows for fax to open the desktop app, and then click New Scan.

• Webscan utility (network printers): Obtain the printer IP address and use it to open the printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS) in a web browser. On your printer's website, click Webscan on the Scan tab.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty, many thanks for your reply.

You are correct, my version is Windows 10 Home, not XP. Sorry.

I can access the scanner via HP Smart, which also alows me to change some scan settings but not all.

But previously I had a  desktop shortcut that got me straight to the scan control pannel where I could fiddle with ALL the scan settings (contrast, brightness etc.) and most importantly : I could save a scan configuration that I had personalised myself.  It was called "HP  ENVY 5000 series - HP Scan" . The shortcut pointed to "HPScan.ex e" and it was SUPER useful. 

Do you know a way to get that shorcut onto my new computer desktop? I can't create it myself because I can't find the exe file.

Thanks, Michel Lebrun

HP Recommended

@eelbelga

Thanks for replying!

Here's what you need to do:

• Click the Search icon on your operating system, type Scan into the search bar,
  • from the shown results right-click on Scan To and select Open File Location.
  • Right-click on Scanto.exe and select Send to > Desktop,
  • it will create a shortcut for the scanning software on your desktop.

If you don't have software, please install the drivers & program for the same: Click here.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately problem not solved.  

Once I have typed 'scan' in search box, there is no 'scan to' result, only :

"HP scan and capture" app

"Scan" app

"Windows fax and scan".

When I open the "Scan" app, message says - to get started, connect to a scanner.

But I am already connected, proof is that I can perform a scan using HP Smart. 

Also, when I open the "HP scan and capture" app, and click on Documents, I get similar message - device cannot be found.

Reminder : I mistakenly said I was on Windows XP,  in fact I'm on Windows 10 Home.

Is there any other way I can get the Scanto shortcut on my desktop ?  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@eelbelga

Check Windows Image Acquisition settings

1. In Windows, search for and open View local services.

2. In the Services window, scroll down the list and find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

3. Look at the Status and Startup Type values.

• If the status is Started or Running and the Startup Type is Automatic, WIA is running correctly. Skip to the next step.

Making sure WIA Status is Running and Startup Type is Automatic

• If the status is Disabled or no status displays, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), click Properties, click the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type dropdown menu, and then click Start.

If the Start button is grayed out, go back to the Services menu, make sure Remote Procedure Call, Shell Hardware Detection, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and DCOM Server Process Launcher are running and set as Automatic, and then start WIA.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sandy thanks for your reply.

My WIA settings indicate both "running" and "automatic". 

What do I do next?

I'm still getting the message "to get started, connect a scanner" when I click on the scan shortcut in the taskbar, yet I can still perform a scan using the HP Smart app......

Regards, Michel Lebrun

HP Recommended

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the HP Smart App and tried?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK I have unistalled both HP SMART and HP SCAN & CAPTURE and re-installed them, but the results are the same : please see my previous replies - All comments in my previous replies are still valid.

With HP SCAN & CAPTURE, I have successsfully selected my device in the settings menu, it does appear in the list of selected devices, but when I try to scan something I get "Document HP 500 series (HPFEE082.lan) device cannot be found"

With WINDOWS SCAN APP, when I try to scan something I get "To get started, connect to a scanner".

With HP SMART, there is no problem I can scan OK.

And I still cannot find scanto.exe , and so I still cannot get a desktop shortcut to the scan menu panel that allows me personalise and save different scan settings (contrast etc.).

Does the fact that my Dell computer is connected to a Dell Thunderbolt Dock make any difference?

HP Recommended

@eelbelga

In that case, you can try installing the full feature software and check.

Please click to download the full-featured software.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/HPEasyStart_11_0_4498_30.exe

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.