Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

No error message shows up but software listed above fails every time to actually download. It first tried to update 6-6 and has continued to not complete the download. Printer works fine so what do I do instead of continuing to download it at times.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Olsonduo,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! 

• What is the exact model for your printer?
  • What is the exact issue you are facing?
  • Are you able to make a copy?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Model of Printer is HP Officejet 5746
Printer works fine so far.
The update of HP USB 40.13.1167.1948 just fails to download and I have tried many times to do so. I am basically frustrated with the failures and sometimes just decide to not try to download it.
When seeking troubleshooting assistance, it tells me there is no suggestions but to seek help from others which I have tried.  I am continuing to get the software notice to download and it just won't download. Printer works but not the download. Contacted once by Fossettee? but still no luck getting it to download.
HP Recommended

@Olsonduo,

Looks like you are trying to update the printer firmware.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article to update the printer firmware.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02919168

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried to download first the Recommended section thru the HP website and nothing happened so did the firmware only as suggested and it said my printer was up-to-date. My question now is why if up-to-date do I continue to get the request to download  almost every day and it always fails to download? Very frustrating but thank goodness the printer continues to work.

What's next? I do appreciate your help though.

HP Recommended

@Olsonduo,

Where are you getting this message to upgrade? Is it on the computer or the printer?

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am getting the reply thru windows updates on my computer. I am connected to printer thru wifi.

HP Recommended

I forgot to add the up-to-date notice came from the printer.

HP Recommended

@Olsonduo,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the Devices and Printers folder, right-click the HP printer, and then select Properties.
  • Click the Device Settings tab.
  • In the Installable Options section, set Printer Status Notification to either Enable or Disable.
  • Click OK.

Figure (example) : Enable or disable Printer Status Notifications

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have not done your latest suggestion as was concerned that if I disable the printer status notification and then run the suggested software, does that cause a problem as my printer does work now. It just does not download the suggested software. I checked the printer device settings and it does not have listed Printer Status Notifications under installable options.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.