Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet P1102
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I don't own a Windows OS system, but I need to disable the "stupid" Smart Install utility from my LaserJet P1102. My MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) running OS Sierra thinks the dumb utility is an unreadable USB drive (not a very smart). All the advice on the forums basically say, "Get a PhD in hacking, buy a Windows computer and type in the crap load of complicated code. Easy peasy lemon squeezy." For the rest of the planet that buy things like laptops and printers to actully use them for simple tasks like printing documents, what advice do you have to offer? Buy a Canon printer?     

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@HanoiMike

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP LaserJet Pro P1102 Printer and would like to disable the Smart Install Utility. I'll surely help you with this.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• The HP LaserJet Pro P1102 printer is only USB compatible. I hope I have got the correct model no.
  • Are you trying to install the printer for the first time on Mac Sierra or was it already installed and working before?

I did some research and found that there are no full-featured drivers available for Mac Sierra. However, I have a workaround where in we can install the inbuilt printer drivers through an Apple update. But before we do that, I suggest you to reset the printing system in Mac.

• Click here to know how to reset printing system in Mac. This will remove all printer drivers completely. 
  • Please download the Mac inbuilt drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2flF56z.
  • From System Preferences, click on Print & Scan.
  • Click the Plus sign.
  • Select the listed LaserJet Professional P1100 (This printer's drivers should work).
  • Click the drop-down menu next to Use or Print Using and click on Select Printer Software.
  • Select the LaserJet Professional P1100 from the list.
  • Click OK to confirm your selection and add the printer, then try printing using the configured print queue.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions and tried multiple times.  Same result as the every other set of instructions for my HP LasterJet to work with a Macbook Pro.  Complete and utter failure.  The install process wants me to install it as a scanner.  Hello..it's not a scanner.  There is no option to install the P1102 as a printer.  Is it really that difficult to make a printer that can communicate with a Mac?  This is not the early 1990s when only a few Apple nerds were buying Macs.  Come HP get your crap together. I don't want a printer that require this much freaking effort.  

And, yes, my HP LaserJet P1102 is USB only.  And, I'm ready to throw this piece of crap printer out the window.  Since I can't trust HP to play nicely with Macs, I'll be shopping for a competitor's brand.  Maybe I'll even film the HP printer window toss and post it on YouTube.  At least then I would get some entertainment value from this useless paperweight.  

HP Recommended

@HanoiMike

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

HP Recommended

I understand not publicly posting my device’s serial number. I wouldn’t want anybody claiming that they own my crappy printer.   

But, I don’t understand the bit about not publicly posting updates regarding my case. That only seems to be for the benefit of HP’s PR. It doesn’t help me as a customer nor does it benefit others reading this thread.  If you can’t solve the problem, don’t customers have a right to know? If by chance you do solve the problem, that would actually benefit others with the same problem.   

HP Recommended

I recommend that we just go buy a canon printer or another brand. HP simply doesn't care about costumer service. This issue has not been resolved in god knows how long. I'm trashing my HP P1102w today.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.