Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

How do you print envelopes using a OfficeJetPro 8710?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @oldtimejogger,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you want to know how to print envelopes from your HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer.

This issue could occur if the print settings are not correct.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide in the links below depending on the operating system installed on the computer:

1. Printing Envelopes (Windows)

2. Printing Envelopes (Mac)

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

This is not helpful to me. My issue is that the printer never recognizes the presence of envelopes in the tray and returns the error message "Load Plain Paper, Envelope #10 (4.1x9.5 in.) paper in the tray."

HP Recommended

@sumpteretc,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

What is the size of the envelope you are trying to print?

In the meantime, please try the steps mentioned on this link: https://hp.care/2H7CU5H

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The software is forcing a .5" margin on the left side of the envelope.  There are NO advanced settings to resolve this.  So when I print the envelope, it cuts off half of my logo.  I've tried to tell the printer properties to print the envelope as borderless but the system says there's a conflict and won't let me do it.  (I HATE big brother systems like this.)  I have tried to print my envelopes via MS Word, Publisher and Photoshop.  The problem is the same with every program - the HP 8710 printer properties forces the left edge to have this HUMONGOUS margin.  Please let me know when you've fixed this so I can get rid of my Epson printer (which prints envelopes but has other problems).  

HP Recommended

those instructions are not valid for my 8710 printer. We need someone who knows about this printer.

HP Recommended

The only solution we've found for this problem is to tell the printer you're using A6 envelopes.  This will let you reduce the margin to 1/8 inch on the top and the side.  I don't know why the software engineers haven't fixed this for a standard U.S. #10 envelope!  It's absolutely ludicrous.  Someone at the top must be saying that it can't be done but it works fine with the A6.  One of the support guys figured out this solution for me.  

HP used to have good engineers.  Don't know what happened.  

Anyway, I've printed a bunch of #10 envelopes with this solution.  

HP Recommended

Student, thank you for your solution. 

I found another solution that works as well later on. I had tried to google the method for the 8710 printer and found several HP support articles that actually had invalid information. Here's an example:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer-series/7902014/documen...

Out of frustration I did more searching and eventually found this page:

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c04945267 on how to load envelopes and cards. The instructions for loading envelopes seemed to be more complete and they worked with the Word Mailings-Envelope application.

Many of the support articles out there seem to be confused about how to place envelopes in the printer, i.e. position, orientation, etc. Even the Word printer driver for the 8710 has this wrong.

HP Recommended

I changed my settings on the 8710 Printer to #10 Envelope 4.1" x 9.5"

In word, i changed the paper settings to LANDSCAPE Orientation, Margins .25" x .25" x .25" x .5"

Paper size to 4.1" x 9.5"

This should look like a standard envelope.   Make sure you move the paperfeeder on the printer to the correct size, envelope flap up.

Prints like a charm

HP Recommended

How do you set up printer to print envelopes and A5 cards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.