Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In the Knowledge Base there is an article

HP Photosmart Printers and All-in-Ones - 'Automatic Two-Sided Printing Module Missing' Message Displays on the Computer when Duplexing

It says there that there is a firmware update that resolves the issue and directs you to the Software & Drivers download page. There it says that "in the Update section click HP Print Driver Update V1.0"  However I see no such driver???  The duplexing worked before upgrading to Windows 10. The HP  The HP Print and Scan Doctor does not find the problem. I reinstalled the main printer driver but it dates from 2015 and does not solve the problem.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

The support document is an older one, years prior to Windows 10 release.

Make sure the Automatic Duplexing option is enabled and then check for any difference:

Enter Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
Right-click the printer icon, then click Printer Properties.
Click the Device Settings tab.
Set the Automatic Two-Sided Duplex Accessory as installed and click OK to save the change.

Now Automatic Duplexing should become available.

Please let me know if that may help,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to respond. When I go to Enter Control Panel > Devices and Printers then
Right-click the printer icon, then click Printer Properties that's as far as I get.  Properties opens with two tabs, General and Hardware. (By the way the printer shows as "Printer, Scanner, Copier" rather than the HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-one.)

Under Hardware there is a list of "Device Functions" which indicates HP 3270 series and list things like imaging devices, print queue, fax and so on.  Automatic duplex is not one of those functions.

HP Properties 1.jpg

When I continue with the Properties button there is again nothing about Automatic two-sided duplex. 

HP Recommended

This is the error message I am getting - 

HP Properties 2.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please Right-click the printer icon and select Printer Properties.

From seeing the screenshot, this is the Properties dialog, not the Printer Properties one which is another option on the menu.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

OK, thanks. I found the Printer Properties as you can see here

HP Screen 2.jpg

But how do I change it from Not Installed to Installed???

HP Recommended

OK, so I worked out I had to back out and then log- in as administrator in order to change properties. I did so and then changed the Duplex Unit to installed.

HP Screen 3.jpg

I clicked Apply, then OK, then backed out and restarted the machine. Sadly I still get the same error message.

HP Recommended

I tried again to uninstall and reinstall the device and driver software and enabled the Automatic Duplexing option as described above. The error message is still the same as posted above. What else can I try??? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.