Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 9010
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

This has GOT to be a typical scenario, yet it appears that current HP software/setup doesn't easily support it!
- Home network linked via ISP Wired/Wifi Router

- Some computers are ethernet-wired to the Router

- HP printer is wired to the Router

- Some computers use (network) Wifi to connect to the Router

Wired computers work perfectly: printing is fine, and web browser to printer's built in web server (at nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn) is fine.

Wifi computer can't connect to printer:
- Can sometimes ping it.
- Can't connect to its web browser

- None of the HP install processes are able to see the printer

- There's no apparent way  to simply install the driver, set up an IP address port, and go

- (I see no documentation on what the IP/port/etc settings should be for this printer)

Worst: HP install software assumes EITHER:
- Wifi is going to connect to Printer Wifi. (and ethernet disabled on printer)
OR
- Use ethernet from all computers to printer. (And printer wifi disabled)

Thus, NO support for: user computer is on Wifi to network; printer is on wired ethernet???!!!

Our situation breaks everything. HOW TO PROPERLY INSTALL?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MrPeteH, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports 2.4 and 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
  • If you are not able to open the EWS page of the printer using the IP address on a particular PC, it means there is no communication between these 2 devices.

To know how to connect the printer to a wireless network, refer to this document.

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

To know how to assign a manual IP to the printer, refer to step 6 and 7 from this document.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Kumar0307 you completely misunderstood my message.

I now have TWO friends suffering from the same mistake HP has made.

The printer is WIRED. It will do no good to connect to the printer wirelessly. The printer's built-in wireless doesn't have the strength to reach across the building. But the wireless router does. So, the printer is directly attached to the router via the network.

The HP Installer, and the current Print and Scan doctor, apparently do not support this very very common situation?!!!

If I say the printer is "wired" they don't find it (because of course it is not wired to a laptop connected on wifi)

If I say the printer is "wireless" then it is not found (because of course the printer is wired to the router, not using its wifi).

Simply put: I know an IP address for the printer. How do I install a driver that will access that IP -- across wifi -- and use the printer?

From any wireless d

HP Recommended

PS. I just saw the link you provided for assigning a manual IP address. I've tried that without success before, but will try again... perhaps there is a detail I missed.

I now have two different networks to try this on 🙂

HP Recommended

@MrPeteH

Assigning the manual/static IP address may help. To know how to install the printer using the IP address, refer to this document.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.