Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
laserjet P1109w
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Using iMac with El Capitan. Just got HP P1109w laser jet. Hooked up and printing no problem with printer usb attached to Airport base station. Can access by all my computers via wi-fi as should be.

But I got this hoping also to be able to use airprint or other to print from iPhone and iPad but I can't access the HP LaserJet Professional Utility from the "Open Printer Utility" button in the Printers and scanners preference pane. When I click on the button nothing happens. Tried also with printer usb attached to computer and the Hp Laser Jet Professional Utility did open but no other tab within that would open, or if it did it was just a window with a bunch of html code on it not a functioning web page. Tried everything and have no idea why the software wont work but is frustrating.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @panoman,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! I see that you are having issues opening the Printer Utility and you want to be able to print to the iPhone and iPad. I will certainly do my best to help you. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the " Thumbs Up " to give me a Kudos. :generic:

If you haven't already, download and install the latest drivers: HP LaserJet Full Feature Software and Driver.

Make sure Safari is set as the default browser.

Check the driver name that is installed for the printer. Make sure it shows just the printer's name.
Click the Apple menu and then click System Preferences. Click Printers & Scanners, highlight the printer name on the left side and on the right side of the screen it should show the printer's name. (Laserjet P1109w)

If the full printer name isn't listed correctly, delete it and add the printer name back in from the list. Click the - sign to delete the driver and then click the + sign to add the driver, might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name to add it in.

check driver name.jpg

check driver name 2.jpg

Please try the steps listed in this document, HP Printers - How to Print from iPad or iPhone. They should help with this situation.

If the mobile device doesn't see the printer you could try turning the mobile device off and on again.
Then turn the Wi-Fi off and on again.
Open the settings App.
Open Wi-Fi.
Turn Wi-Fi off and then on again.
Connect to the proper network name.

Try printing now.

Please let me know the results and if there is anything else I can help you with. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Nope,

Cant do any of that because I cant open Printer Utility, it is as if that leads nowhere. If I cant open printer utility I cant get to html configuration etc, I cant get claim code etc cant use HP ePrint etc.

You have not even addressed my issue with what seems to be my problem accessing the HP Printer Utility. Everything else as far as printing from my desktops and laptops via my airport base station seems to work fine but looks like a problem with the Hp Utility software? Also that blue Wi-Fi light on the printer will blink but never turn solid blue.

Also FYI There is no support from your link there to "full featured software and driver" for El Capitan unless I am missing something. Seems like you should be familiar with that...

anyway,

HP Recommended

Hi @panoman,

I read the post over again and realized didn't realize you had the USB connected to the Airport. You won't be able to configure the wireless this way.

Plug the printer directly into the Mac and you should be able to open the Printer Utility to access the printer's html configuration. If it doesn't open, delete and add the printer back in again. Make sure when your adding the printer it shows the printer name. (Laserjet P1102w)

The Embedded Web Server for the printer will open.

Click on the Networking tab, select Wireless on the left side.

Fill out this information for your network. Status make sure you select Enabled.

Apply the settings.

Then go back to Apple, System Preferences, Printers and Scanners and click the + sign to add the Laserjet bonjour printer. (might take a couple of minutes to appear) Make sure the printer listed beside use: shows the proper printer name and not the default driver, then click on the add button.

Delete the USB printer from the list from the Printers and Scanners window.

Disconnect the USB cable.

Test the printer.

Please keep me posted. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I've been having the same problem with the P1102w: the printer utility won't open. Two HP technicians tried to troubleshoot this issue over the phone, with no success. They then decided it was a hardware problem and sent me out a "new" (i.e. refurbished) printer as a replacement. Same problem with the new one: the printer utility won't open so I can't adjust the settings. I particularly want to disable the unwanted "auto-off" function so that the printer doesn't shut down in the middle of the night when I'm trying to printe wirelessly.

I then phoned tech support again, and the person told me this printer is "obsolete." This despite the fact I bought it new from Staples just a week ago. HP, it transpires, hasn't overhauled the printer software in years, so the machine is basically incompatible with the El Capitan operating system. "If it's obsolete, why are you still selling it?" I asked. "Well, we're not actually selling it," he said. "You should talk to Staples about it." Thanks a lot, guys. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.