Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp officejet pro 8725
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I first installed the printer/scanner there where no issue's.
Due to having a dynamic IP adress and the installation of a new router my printer often appeared offline due to be assigned a different ip adress. I since gave it a static IP adress but to get it to work I had to reinstall the software.

The printer works ok but  i cant get the scanner to work. As i understand it a WIA driver should be installed and it seems its not being installed.

I try HP print and scan doctor. This lists my printer as HP Officejet Pro 8720 PCL-3 as installed.

Yet on the next page it says the full softwaresolution for my product is not installed.

Step 1 prep works ok, step 2 connect gives me problems.

I have to select connect new device.

If I select wireless it almost instantly finds it

next screen i get a "progress bar" and a message Network device is being installed. After a long time it gives the message it has failed.

I checked services and wia service in windows is running

To make matters more frustrating, the web interface is able to scan just fine.

Alternative driver software (vuescan) also work right away.

Deleting and reinstalling driver does not work, still the same error when trying to install software.

Is there a way to manually install the WIA driver for the scanner part?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@KrisDeWilde

Norton security could be an issue. Try to keep it disabled until you isolate the issue.

Also, I would recommend you to follow the steps from the document HP Printers - 'Unsuccessful Network Installation' Error (Windows).

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Just tried the HP scan app and that works like a charm.

Though the purpose is to scan straight into my document management program (paperport) and the app can only do that indirect

HP Recommended

@KrisDeWilde, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you have already performed the troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. I appreciate your efforts.

Additionally, you can check if there any windows updates available. And then, create a new user account and try installing the printer software.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried creating a new user and this gave the same problem, taking a long time at "installing network device" and eventually failing

Doesnt help perhaps that my normal account is the administrator account and everything was already installed when i logged into a new account.

I also tried installing on my laptop and while it also took a while at installing network device it eventually continued.

That seemed to have been successfully finished and I could even do a testscan in microsoft paint. No other scan enabled software installed.

Could Norton security be interfering? I disabled that while installing on laptop and it got enabled again while during the scantest.

I did try disabling norton too on pc but that didnt seem to have made any difference.

HP Recommended

@KrisDeWilde

Norton security could be an issue. Try to keep it disabled until you isolate the issue.

Also, I would recommend you to follow the steps from the document HP Printers - 'Unsuccessful Network Installation' Error (Windows).

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried the steps from that document but the regular install problem still persists.

When I did repair system files it did find some errors.

Still the printer isnt fully installed in windows 10, scanner driver isnt getting installed.

But using the HP smart app the printer and scanner are fully accessable including able to scan. But scan only works through hp smart app.

I tried to connect the printer with a network cable to install but same problem.

Unless there is another way to install the scanner driver I think there is little more to do. I can live with the need to scan through the hp smart app.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.