Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new HP OfficeJet 8710.

Currently have it connected to the router via Ethernet cable but I've tried USB and wireless - all same result.

I can print PDF documents and plain text (Notepad.exe) and I can print from MS Edge or IE but MS Word, MS Excel, etc. won't print to it. Hit "Print" button and it seems to go through the motions but nothing prints. Nothing shows up in the "See What's Printing" window.

I can also scan from it.

I have three computers in the room - two laptops using Wi-Fi to the same router and the third is hard-wired - again to the same router. Can't print from Office apps on any of them.

I have downloaded and installed the OJ8710_Full_WebPack_40.12.1161 from HP.

I do have a second printer (Brother Black & White) and I can print to it from those same Office apps.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@Bob_Stratton
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Disable UAC:

Here are the steps to configure UAC settings: 

• Open User Account Control Settings by clicking theStartbutton and then clickingControl Panel. In the search box, typeUAC, and then clickChange User Account Control settings. 
  • To turn off UAC, move the slider to theNever notify position, and then clickOK.  
  • if you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off. 

Give Full permission:

• Press the "Windows logo key" + "r" to get “Run" - Type "spool" and press ok.
  • Right-click on "PRINTERS" - Select "Properties"
  • Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.
  • Go to "Devices and printers", right-click on the new printer that you installed and select "Printer properties".
  • Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.
  • Restart your computer and then try to print.

Root level uninstall and reinstall printer drivers:

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

To reinstall, click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer-...

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestions.

I followed your instructions very carefully and completely but it still doesn't work.

For what it's worth, my Windows 10 account is an "Administrator" and I ran the install "As Administrator".

Prior to doing this, I also ran a "Repair" on the MS Office 2013 install and ran SFC  /scannow

HP Recommended

@Bob_Stratton

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

• Have you tried printing the windows document using HP Smart App?

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142 to know more about-Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)
Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, HP Smart works fine but only for the document types that it supports. I can already print .PDFs from Adobe Reader (for example). it's Microsoft Office that can't print. If I "Save As" a Word document to a PDF, then I can print the PDF. Likewise an Excel spreadsheet but it's a "pain in the butt" to have to save a .docx or .xlsx file "As PDF" every time I want to print it. My previous HP PhotoSmart 7510 printer had no problem printing from MS Office apps. Does the 8710 perhaps only accept a version of PCL that Office apps don't generate??

HP Recommended

@Bob_Stratton
Thank you for posting back. 

• Do you have a Microsoft Office product key? 

We can try uninstalling and reinstalling the Microsoft office suite and check the issue, however, while reinstalling Office suite requires a product activation key. 

Note: As the printer, functionality is proven hence it's not a printer hardware software issue 

Keep me posted for further assistance

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yeah. Did that already (I do have a valid key).

Clearly (as you say) the printer "works" but it's a compatibility issue between the 8710 and MS Office 2013. I'm sure that you (HP) have more leverage (and resources) to determine (and fix) the issue with Microsoft. I'm hoping that you can use that leverage and resources to find a fix. 

HP Recommended

@Bob_Stratton
As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would suggest contacting Microsoft support might help.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OH GROAN!! You know how well that's going to go! (NOT).

You know they're going to point right back to HP since I can print fine from Office 2013 on my Brother printer and had no trouble with my HP Photosmart 7510. The only thing that has changed is installing a new OfficeJet 8710.

HP Recommended

@Bob_Stratton

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Let's try firmware update and check this issue: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer-series/790...

Keep me posted!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.