Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can't print from windows 10 in color. The printer can print in color when printing test page on the printer. I have updated and installed drivers and windows 10, but I still don't have the possibility to select color print or not greyscale. I have googled a lot and every placed it says select the color in printer preferences under layout but I don't have that option. PrinterPrefrences.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @spip, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand you have issues printing in color from your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

As you mentioned even after uninstalling and reinstalling printer drivers the issue still persists.

Try uninstalling the full feature printer software from root level on your PC and install the printer basic drivers and check if it helps.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers.

Update the basic printer drivers using this link.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works! 
Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks a lot for the answer, but I am sorry to say it did not solve my problem.

I have not changed anything on the pc, but I have reinstalled my pc with windows 10, it was working before when it was also windows 10, but upgraded from Windows 8.

I hope you can help me with another suggestion.

Thanks a lot.

Br Birgitte

HP Recommended

@spip, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for getting back to us.

As you mentioned after upgrading from windows 8 to windows 10 you are facing this issue.

Did you try the steps recommended in my previous thread?

It certainly looks to be a driver or compatibility issue with the printer.

Try uninstalling the printer drivers from root level and install the printer drivers and check if it helps.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi agan
Yes I have followed your description but with no success. But what do you mean by removing by root level?

Br Birgitte
HP Recommended

@spip, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned even after trying the steps the issue still persists.

Removing from root level means as the printer driver will get installed in different locations on the printer.

So try installing windows built in drivers and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to install windows built in drivers.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.