Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5000 All-in-One

Hello community! The HP "smart" application doesn't seem aptly named at the moment. I have a desktop that is not connected to the internet. I did undergo a complex temporary wiring splice a couple weeks ago to update the printer software on this computer (error message told me it needed an update), and at that time printed up some documents. The USB cable was connected and I did not realize I was taking advantage of the wireless printing option. HP smart is currently communicating with the printer via USB cable. It shows me ink levels, status, etc. and offers to print me up some PDF files from this computer without internet access. Unfortunately, my CAD program files require an online converter to become PDFs, and it's not connected. Were this desktop computer online, they'd print up just fine from the CAD program. Why, oh why, does this printer believe it's ok not to print my S***?! What box did I mistakenly check or not check that gave it permission to skip installation of all necessary drivers, software, etc. to be self sufficient to print my stuff with a USB connection???? I will go through the trouble of hard wiring the computer to the modem one more time, if someone can please tell me the steps to ensure it will print from the USB cable in the future. I have no current plans to keep this computer connected to the internet any longer than necessary.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Fuchsiafire

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Are you wanting to connect your Printer to your desktop wirelessly?

If yes, follow these steps:

Use the Wireless Setup Wizard from the printer control panel display to set up wireless communication. 1. On the printer control panel display, from the Home screen, touch ( Wireless ). 2. Touch ( Settings ). 3. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard. 4. Follow the display instructions to complete the setup.

Also. follow the steps from page 43 on wards: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05643392

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again,

Unfortunately I would like to do the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. Please re-read the subject line and content, if you can possibly provide a solution I'll be very grateful. Is it possible to download the drivers onto a USB drive from another computer and install software onto this computer that makes it print WITH A CABLE?

HP Recommended

All you've to do is to turn the wireless off by touching the wireless icon. To print via USB - simply connect the USB cable to the Computer and it'll automatically install the drivers.

However for the full software, you can use this link and download it: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.