Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp has a AirPrint compatibilty list showing which printers are AirPrint compatible. The OfficeJet Pro 8500 is not listed as an AirPrint compatible printer. My experience is that I always used HP Smart and it worked. AirPrint under IOS10 but not always stable but since updating to IOS11 it did not work. SO changed my printer to HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 and no issues. The 8720 is listed as AirPrint compatible.

My printer is networked so we can print from any of our 3 x Laptop's, 2 x IPad Pro's or 3 x Samsung Mobiles and Remotely from work. Because of that I use HPSmart App on the mobile devices. Airprint I found is a direct Wireless print so does not work when using multiple OS devices as I do. The Smart App also allows me to utilise the full functionality of the 8720 MFP I also use a Brother Q series labels printer on my Network.
HP Recommended
Working for me too at long last. I haven't updated iOS or HP Smart app so assume that HP have finally got round to sorting this out and have updated their software or firmware in the background somehow. As you say, about time!!
HP Recommended

Finally fixed for me also. Nothing to the point really. No communication on here or social media from HP speaks volumes as to the contempt with which we are held. 

HP Recommended
Never buying HP again. Main reason, they didn’t tell me what was going on
HP Recommended

I am surprised at the number of posts saying HP made a firmware change that resolved the issue. An HP firmware update won’t just install unless you activate it from the printer controller panel or via your PC/Laptop.

The main issue here is that not ALL HP printers are AirPrint compatible. This is evident from the list of HP AirPrint compatible printer list published but HP.

Something change in one of the post the  initial  IOS11 release which I believe could have resolved the issue.

I resolved the issue after consulting the HP AirPrint compatibility list, found my HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 was nor AirPrint compatible. I repalaced my Printer with a HP Printer that is AirPrint compatible.

why my 8500 worked previously cannot be explained except that with IOS11 initial release changed something that caused the printer to not work correctly.

i do not blame HP for the issue in my case” 

HP Recommended

Sorry Grootman. but I think you must be incorrect. The problem started for us weeks ago.  Having wasted ages talking to HP support (the operative having tried and failed to fix the issue gave up and put the phone down on me) I turned to the Forum only to discover that others had the same issue.  However recently the printer started working again, but on each of the three iPads in the household a pop up message appeared saying that the "printer HP Envy 4520 is different to the one previously used. Continue?" No iOS update had been applied between the printer not working and the printer working, so something must have changed with the printer itself to cause that message. Clearly HP must have done something in the background, I suspect a firmware update installed when the printer was being used for other purposes such as copying. The printer remained wirelessly connected to HP because I am enrolled in their printer ink program. So this would have given them to update the firmware in the background. I cannot think of any other explanation.

@Grootman wrote:

I am surprised at the number of posts saying HP made a firmware change that resolved the issue. An HP firmware update won’t just install unless you activate it from the printer controller panel or via your PC/Laptop.

The main issue here is that not ALL HP printers are AirPrint compatible. This is evident from the list of HP AirPrint compatible printer list published but HP.

Something change in one of the post the  initial  IOS11 release which I believe could have resolved the issue.

I resolved the issue after consulting the HP AirPrint compatibility list, found my HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 was nor AirPrint compatible. I repalaced my Printer with a HP Printer that is AirPrint compatible.

why my 8500 worked previously cannot be explained except that with IOS11 initial release changed something that caused the printer to not work correctly.

i do not blame HP for the issue in my case” 

HP Recommended

I am forced for the second time to pay $60 to have access to my printer. I shouldn’t have to pay for this. I’m 69 and not savvy at all even though I’ve been computer savvy since the 80’s. I also can no longer upload pictures to Facebook. What should I tell my repair person. This is a MAJOR and UNNECESSARY pain in my tuckus

HP Recommended

Hi @mad-at-apple

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.