Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My OfficeJet Pro 7740 just updated to a new firmware and is now rejecting my ink cartridges. Is there a place I can download the previous firmware installer to revert back? Before you ask, I am not using genuine ink, they are aftermarket. It seems counter intuitive to spend $170 on a printer to spend $120 just for the ink for it. It would make more fiscal sense for me to go buy a new printer and not let it do automatic updates. I know this was new in the recent update and was done for "security", so a version of the firmware where I can choose the amount of safety I want in my printer security would be nice.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

There was a post on here a while ago with a link to an FTP site that you can download older versions of firmware. If you search around you should be able to find it.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

@Albert338

Welcome to HP Support community.

There is no option to revert back to previous firmware version on the printer.

HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges.

Perform a power reset

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector and printer.
  6. Turn on the printer.

You can refer this HP document for troubleshooting steps:- Click here

If it shows you are using non HP cartridge,

Acknowledge the message, and then continue with the print job

Click or press No, OK, or Continue to dismiss the message. The printer continues with the print job.

You might have to dismiss the message every time you print.

Let me know if that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nope...didn't help. Still irritated that I have a printer that costs almost as much as the ink I have to put in it and HP monopolizes by not allowing me to use other ink that was working fabulously until my firmware was updated...

I should have been more specific as well. It tells me there is a problem with the cartridge and I should remove and reinstall the cartidge. I can do this an infinite number of times and it won't accept it. I realize you can not guarantee non-hp ink, but it was working fine. To be honest, this sounds very similar to the tactics HP tried a while back that resulted in a settlement of a class action lawsuit just recently...

HP Recommended

@Albert338

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Need help in fixing this too. 

HP must allow people to downgrade in order to use compatible inks again.

HP Recommended

this does not work, any tricky fix does not work.

HP Recommended

Hp, should fix this shame.

Installing with automatic updates a firmware that blocks every compatible ink with no advice is really unfair.

This move from hp caused me more than 500$ in damage, i had to throw away 100$ of compatible inks, buy new originals and buy an Epson printer. 

Really, you're gonna lose your costumes, Hp.

Fix this scam.

HP Recommended

I am having this exact same issue and also wasn't aware of automatic firmware downloads.  The amount of money I have no loss as a result of this is crazy.  [legal language removed].  This is unacceptable that HP has done this and I have two of these printers so now I am forced to purchase HP ink where the other ink was working just perfect.  I was happy with my printer purchases but now I'm ready to throw ever HP piece of equipment out and switch back to Epson, Brother or even Mickey Mouse at this point because this is is horrible customer service on the part of HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.