Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet 1160
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, in my new PC with Windows 10, I connected the LaserJet 1160 printer following the instructions HP, to install the driver "USB (DOT4) communication driver for Windows 8 and Higher (64-bit)" for the LaserJet 1160 printer, but unfortunately it does not work. When I connect the printer with the USB cable, the PC detects the model but can not find the driver. I also tested the universal driver for HP printers, but it does not work. It 's really strange that it does not even recognize the basic software for a simple print, first with the Windows 7 everything worked. Has anyone found the solution to this problem? Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Giantod60

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Community. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To ensure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Community.

German: HP Kundenforum
Spanish: Foro de usuarios de HP
French: Forum des utilisateurs
Portuguese: Fórum dos usuários HP
Chinese: 惠普个人客户支持论坛
Korean: HP 지식커뮤니티

Thank you for your understanding.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi Denny-r, sorry for the previus post.

HP Recommended

I have a desktop running Win 10 Pro 64bit Ver 1803 that I successfully installed my HP LJ 1160 manaully using the Windows Update button (see pic) in 2018. I just got a new laptop (Win 10 Home 64bit Ver 1809) the other day and tried to install the same printer in the same manner as the desktop, but now it's not there anymore.

Windows Update List Missing HP LJ1160.PNG

Yes GiantoD60 the HP site has a DOT4 driver, but that's only for the USB driver part and not the full print driver set.  I took this a step further and downloaded several of the most recent Microsoft Catalog drivers for my system (even Win 8/7):

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Laserjet+1160

All of them gave me this error: 

Compatible Driver Error for HP LJ1160 Driver for  Win 10 1809.PNG

Can we get the full printer driver for Windows 10 64bit  ver. 1809 (x64)  please? Thank you.

HP Recommended

Funny I'm replying to myself, but hope this might help others:

For the moment and in my specific situation, sorry not for everyone, I've implemented an advance level work around - I network shared my desktop's (Ver. 1803)  working LJ 1160 and then connected my laptop (Ver. 1809) through my home network. If you wish to pursue this option, you need to have the same OS and working printer all ready installed, and both computers need to be on the same local network. I was also looking into snagging my printer's drivers off the working computer, but that's pretty complex and maybe I'll cross that bridge another time.  

If interested pursuing this option, here are some of the top level details I covered:
WORKING PRINTER & COMPUTER
- Setup network file & printer sharing from control panel 
- Setup a shared folder
- Setup a shared printer

2ND COMPUTER W / NO HP LJ 1160 DRIVER INSTALLED
- UNC to the working computer which should autocomplete a list of shared items and select shared folder (e.g. \\pcname\shared folder... ).
- Provide "working computers credentials", and set to remember (otherwise you'll be prompted to provide on each restart).
- UNC again to the "working computer"  which should autocomplete the shared printer (e.g. \\pcname\HP LJ1160 ), prompt to install drivers from client should occur - click yes.

CAVEAT: My HP LJ 1160 is actually USB connected to an Ethernet Jetdirect w/a static IP address, so I was able to change the port over to it's IP address. Again, advance level stuff here folks and sorry this may not apply to everyone and only to some. Hopefully MS Updates gets my message (posted on their site too), for we now know the LJ 1160 / 1803 driver works on an 1809 PC. 

Good luck to everyone else. I prefer these drivers come from HP, but as a last resort from Windows Update site which hopefully catches up with some of it's legacy printer drivers like mine 😉

--

Good Days,

Clemente aka Andre

HP Recommended

Here is the method I used to install a HP LaserJet 1160 on Windows 10 1803.

1. Install HP LaserJet USB (DOT4) communication driver for Windows (Dot4x64.msi)
  2. Install HP Universal Printing PCL5 (Install.exe). (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-universal-print-driver-series-for-windows/503548... , you may have to select Win7 64bit for the PCL5 driver to appear)
  3. Select "USB mode - Plug and Play"
  4. Ensure that "Add HP Universal PCL5 driver to Windows driver store" is checked
  5. Ensure that printer is powered on and connected via USB
  6. Open printers & scanners
  7. Click the + button to search for printers
  8. Click "The printer that I want isn't listed"
  9. Click "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings"
  10. Select the printer port DOT4_001 Generic
  11. From the install printer screen, navigate to HP and select HP Universal Printing PCL5 at/near the bottom.
  12. Give the printer a friendly name and hit Next
  13. Do not share this printer and hit Next
  14. Print a test page to verify functionality
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.