Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I get a "Tray 1 load plain letter" error every time I try to print to our HP LJ4050. It wants to pull the paper from tray 1 even though tray 2 is full. I thought it my be a problem with tray 2 so I switched the tray with one from an identical working printer but still get the same result. It doesn't seem to be a driver issue because I have the same problem when printing a configuration page or menu map from the LCD display. I verified that Tray 1 is set to FIRST and Tray 2 PLAIN. I restored the printer to factory setting but I'm still having the same problem. What could it be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  Turns out that I had moved the printed and in the process of moving it, the paper tray #2 somehow shifted to legal size paper instead of standard 8x11.5 inch paper.  To fix the problem, I pulled out the paper tray, found the blue stop at the very BACK of the tray and pulled it forward into the proper position for standard paper.  This solved the problem for me. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Did you ever get a response or find a solution. My printer now exhibits exactly the same behavior even though it was working fine two days ago.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  Turns out that I had moved the printed and in the process of moving it, the paper tray #2 somehow shifted to legal size paper instead of standard 8x11.5 inch paper.  To fix the problem, I pulled out the paper tray, found the blue stop at the very BACK of the tray and pulled it forward into the proper position for standard paper.  This solved the problem for me. 

HP Recommended

OMG!!!! Thank You, Thank You!!!! I would never have thought to check that tray! I have reset, restored, and changed all my settings on the printer and the computer and it still didnt work!!! That was so simple and I am totally glad I kept GOOGLING how to fix the problem!!! You are totally awesome for posting to this!

HP Recommended

OMG, life saver - thanks guys, the little blue tabs were out of alignment in the paper tray itself, problem solved...

HP Recommended

Thank you very much!   Paper tray had shifted to legal and that was the answer!

HP Recommended

Thank you! This has been doggig my workplace for a while, and it was driving people nuts! I had decided to use my morning to fix the issue, but thanks to your post, it took all of 3.5 minutes. 🙂 Thank you again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.