Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8610e
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Latest Print & Scan Doctor, 5.2.0.022, doesn't perform tests for me, but rollback to 5.1.0.035 or earlier is fine.  Start the Dr up, the Step 1 page shows my printer, click on that and click next.  Shows a picture of my model and a progress bar, communicating with my printer.  (Printer and Windows computer are on my home wireless network).  With 5.1 when the progress bar finishes the Step 2 page comes up for me to choose what to test.  With 5.2 when the progress bar finishes it returns to the Step 1 page with no message that anything went wrong.

Just for completeness I did try the procedure of going to the WIndows Control Panel and removing all HP software and then reinstalling with a fresh download.  No difference.  P&S Dr 5.1 still works, P&S Dr 5.2 does not.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Cinci_John

A warm welcome to HP Community!

Removing Print and Scan Doctor 5.2, its associated files and then installing a fresh copy of the latest print and scan doctor may resolve the issue. Here is how to do it:

1.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

2.) Type or copy paste- 'c:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Diagnostics\PSDR' into the run command text box.

3.) Click OK

4.) Delete all the PSDR files in the folder.

5.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

6.) Type %temp% and click OK.

7.) Delete all the files in the temp folder

8.) Power off and power on the computer.

9.) Download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor from here

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@senan6806

THank you for your suggestion. A step-by-step of me following it is below, but the bottom line is that P&S Dr 5.2 still won't advance to Step 2 for me.

The HP\Diagnostics\PSDR folder had just two files, HPPSDr.exe and PSdr.ico. As you instructed I deleted them. %TEMP% had the usual junk, I deleted it all.

Restarted the computer.

Checked to see if the two folders were still empty. PSDR still empty, %TEMP% populated with the usual startup stuff, including one HP regular: hpqddusr.log.

Retrieved fresh HPPSdr.exe from link you provided, onto Downloads folder on my hard drive. Ran it. Help/ABout confirms it is version 5.2.0.022. At the Step 1 page it identifies my printer, correctly says it is installed and at the proper IP address in my home wireless network. I click on it and on Next.

The "communicating" progress bar does its thing, and when it gets all the way to the right I am returned to the Step 1 page. No tests, no error messages. I exit the program.

The %TEMP% folder now contains a new folder, 7zS6C51, itself containing 107 files and folders.

HP Recommended

@Cinci_John

Do you have the printer full feature software and driver installed on your computer?

Do you have any Antivirus software installed on your computer?

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@senan6806

- Dell Inspiron laptop
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit, fully up to date
- ZoneAlarm firewall
- McAfee SecurityCenter anti-virus
- HP printer firmware FDP1CN1910AR
- HP full sw & driver installed from Officejet Pro 8610 OJ8610_198.exe

Just to re-clarify, the printer works fine both printing and scanning over my home wireless network, not only from the above laptop running Windows 10 but even from an ancient tower computer still runing Vista. The only reason for this conversation is the described problem trying to run version 5.2 of the Print & Scan Doctor from the laptop, where version 5.1 works OK. As you might imagine, every time I run 5.1 (or earlier) it politely asks if I wouldn't really upgrade to a later version.

HP Recommended

@Cinci_John

I have escalated the issue to an appropriate team within HP for any possible solutions and I’ve been told that the concerned team is working on a solution for this issue. Please give us about 72hrs, while we test this situation on our lab devices and get back to you with a working solution.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@senan6806

Thank you.  No rush.

HP Recommended

@Cinci_John

You are welcome! I just received a reply from the R&D team, they seems to be quite interested in understanding the problem. However, they would need PSDR 5.2 log files in order to find a possible solution. I've send send you a private message requesting certain details that cannot be shared on a public post. Please check your inbox for a private message.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Senan6806

I've been otherwise occupied for a month but now I thought to tell you: my problem where PSDR 5.2 would not diagnose my printer is solved in the latest release, 5.2.1. I choose to believe that your R&D team fixed my problem on purpose, and not by accident. So thank you all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.