Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet P1102W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does the latest Windows 10 Pro update still support an HP LaserJet P1102W? The system no longer recognizes this printer and seems unable to locate any drivers. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@PHCurtis

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums.

MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Printer and the Win10 computer does not recognize the printer and locate any drivers. Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

Is the printer connected via USB or wirelessly?

While you respond to that. I recommend you to download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor. This tool will fix any issues with the existing printer drivers in the computer:

1. Make sure your printer is turned on and connected to the computer.

2. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor, and then follow the on-screen prompts to install and open the tool.

3. On the Welcome screen, click Start to view a list of available printers.

4. Select your printer in the list, and then click Next.

If your printer is not listed or a connection problem is detected, click My product is not listed or select your connection type, follow the on-screen instructions, and then click Retry.

Example of a list of available printers

5. Click either Fix Printing or Fix Scanning.

If you are prompted to install the printer software, follow the on-screen instructions. The software can resolve many printer issues.

Example of a list of available printers

6. Review the list of test results, and then resolve any issues found.

• If you see a checkmark, the printer passed the test.

• If you see a wrench, HP Print and Scan Doctor found an issue and repaired it.

• If you see an exclamation point, the test failed and required user action, but the step was skipped.

• If you see an X, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

Example of the results screen with a problem detected

If the issue persists then let us download and install the full featured printer drivers in Windows 10 via this HP link.

NOTE: Do not plug the USB cable from the printer to the computer initially. You may first begin the installation and during the course of the installation it will prompt to connect the printer. And that is when the printer needs to be connected via USB to the computer and continue with the installation. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

I hve followed these steps.  Whether wirelessly or with a USB cable, my new  Win 10 box does not recognize the presence of the P1102W.  When I list printers, it shows the P1102W, but says there is no driver for it.  The printer continues to work fine on my old Win 10 box.

HP Recommended

Plug in the USB and power up the printer. In Windows Explorer you should see a D or E drive. The setup files are there. Double click to install and it should work.

HP Recommended

It wasn't easy to figure out....when it should have been if notification from HP had been sent.  I have a P1102w printer, and I use a wireless connection.  What worked for me was to select and hold the X button on the left side of the printer.  The configuration page that is printed will give you an IP address.  Mine said something like IPv4 address.  You open an Internet browser and put in the numbers.  It should be formatted like xxx.xx.x.x.  Just type the numbers in with the periods. You will be taken to your personal IP address for your HP printer (wireless setup).  Click on the tab that say HP Install.  It was the last tab in the menus across the top.  This tab will have a download button for your driver.  Once I installed that driver, my printer started working again.  It stopped working when the latest (Oct 2019) Windows update deleted the driver I had been using.  Hope this helps some of you.

HP Recommended

I did download the HP Print and Scan Doctor.  It may prove helpful in the future. I appreciate HP creating this software.  It didn't fix the problem of Windows deleting my printer driver for my P1102w printer during the latest update.  The HP Print and Scan Doctor told me the software could not communicate with the printer.  Big surprise!  See my other post for the solution that worked for me.

HP Recommended

If you want it to work via USB and not have to connect it to WiFi first, here's what I did to get mine working under Windows 10 x64 with all updates as of Nov 20, 2019:

* Download the full driver package: https://www.hpdriver.us/hp-laserjet-pro-p1102-printer-drivers/

* Download and install 7zip: https://www.7-zip.org/

* Find where you saved the driver file

* Right-click on the file and you should see a 7zip context menu...select "Extract Files..."

* In the new dialog box, put in a top-level folder name (doesn't matter...just keeps things tidy when extracting several hundred files)

* Once all files have been extracted, go into the folder you created and find the file "HpSetup.exe" and run that

* Choose "Advanced" once the setup starts and choose USB (eventually) as your connection type

Hopefully, it works as smoothly for you as it did for me! Good luck!

HP Recommended

Omg!!  I consider myself an intermediate IT person but certainly not advanced.  I followed the very-well-written instructions involving the 7zip download step by step and by golly it worked!!  I'm thrilled to death... I had tried all the other stuff above before I got to this thread.  I thought for sure this would be another thing that would be a waste of my time.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

HP Recommended

I am not sure if it is the Windows update or not, but for some reason my HP P1102W LaserJet Printer is not working. It was set up before but always would act up. I have 2 printers. This one and the Photosmart 7525.  I use a Dell USB3.0 dock had them set up for usb printing.  We got another printer so i decided to attempt to set them up for wireless also.  That is where it would act up.  I even tried to install an app in the Windows Store call HP Smart... Again, it would work at times and others it would not.  So I decided to uninstall everything via Revo uninstaller and got everything that was HP.  I was able to reinstall the 7520 as wireless and then I tried to install the 1102 and for some reason, it is not seeing it through the USB cable.  I tried 2 other USB cables (one was a known good one that i used to install the 7525 with) and nothing.  I even took another laptop with no previous HP sw installed and plugged it in via USB to see if it could be "seen".  Unfortunately, it was not and I am out of ideas.  I reset it to factory settings... not luck.  At this point, the only thing i can think of is a bad port on the print for the USB cable.  If that is the case, is it possible to set it up without that connection like a wireless connection?  help?!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.