Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Latest Windows 10 Pro Update does not detect HP P1102W LaserJet Printer

HP LaserJet P1102W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does the latest Windows 10 Pro update still support an HP LaserJet P1102W? The system no longer recognizes this printer and seems unable to locate any drivers. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
13,623 12,733 827 1,440
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@PHCurtis

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums.

MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Printer and the Win10 computer does not recognize the printer and locate any drivers. Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

Is the printer connected via USB or wirelessly?

While you respond to that. I recommend you to download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor. This tool will fix any issues with the existing printer drivers in the computer:

1. Make sure your printer is turned on and connected to the computer.

2. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor, and then follow the on-screen prompts to install and open the tool.

3. On the Welcome screen, click Start to view a list of available printers.

4. Select your printer in the list, and then click Next.

If your printer is not listed or a connection problem is detected, click My product is not listed or select your connection type, follow the on-screen instructions, and then click Retry.

Example of a list of available printers

5. Click either Fix Printing or Fix Scanning.

If you are prompted to install the printer software, follow the on-screen instructions. The software can resolve many printer issues.

Example of a list of available printers

6. Review the list of test results, and then resolve any issues found.

• If you see a checkmark, the printer passed the test.

• If you see a wrench, HP Print and Scan Doctor found an issue and repaired it.

• If you see an exclamation point, the test failed and required user action, but the step was skipped.

• If you see an X, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

Example of the results screen with a problem detected

If the issue persists then let us download and install the full featured printer drivers in Windows 10 via this HP link.

NOTE: Do not plug the USB cable from the printer to the computer initially. You may first begin the installation and during the course of the installation it will prompt to connect the printer. And that is when the printer needs to be connected via USB to the computer and continue with the installation. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best! 🙂

0 Kudos
chisquared Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I hve followed these steps.  Whether wirelessly or with a USB cable, my new  Win 10 box does not recognize the presence of the P1102W.  When I list printers, it shows the P1102W, but says there is no driver for it.  The printer continues to work fine on my old Win 10 box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Caffeinator Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Plug in the USB and power up the printer. In Windows Explorer you should see a D or E drive. The setup files are there. Double click to install and it should work.

0 Kudos
AVarner Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It wasn't easy to figure out....when it should have been if notification from HP had been sent.  I have a P1102w printer, and I use a wireless connection.  What worked for me was to select and hold the X button on the left side of the printer.  The configuration page that is printed will give you an IP address.  Mine said something like IPv4 address.  You open an Internet browser and put in the numbers.  It should be formatted like xxx.xx.x.x.  Just type the numbers in with the periods. You will be taken to your personal IP address for your HP printer (wireless setup).  Click on the tab that say HP Install.  It was the last tab in the menus across the top.  This tab will have a download button for your driver.  Once I installed that driver, my printer started working again.  It stopped working when the latest (Oct 2019) Windows update deleted the driver I had been using.  Hope this helps some of you.

0 Kudos
AVarner Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did download the HP Print and Scan Doctor.  It may prove helpful in the future. I appreciate HP creating this software.  It didn't fix the problem of Windows deleting my printer driver for my P1102w printer during the latest update.  The HP Print and Scan Doctor told me the software could not communicate with the printer.  Big surprise!  See my other post for the solution that worked for me.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation