Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet M477
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Using HP Scan software produces huge PDF files. Tried using searchable PDF instead, and files smaller but poor quality. Is there a better scan software to use? HP must be using old PDF conversion software, very sad.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Yes NAPS2 works very well, and is a good solution. It is just disappointing that HP ships their products with defective software that they already know is defective.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

You may try HP Scan Extended isntead:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

As well you may the HP Smart, which can be installed from the Widnows Store if not laready located under Start > All Apps

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Tried those, still get the large PDF files.  Also, when I scan directly to a USB, it gives me the large files as well.  HP needs to update their PDF conversion to a more recent version that is not so inefficient!!

HP Recommended

I found another post on 5-14-2016 where a bug was identifid in the PDF conversion software used by HP.  That bug was identified to HP and even escalated to engineering at HP, and obviously still not fixed. HP keeps using this flawed software on their new models, such as my M477.  This is completely unacceptable for HP to use flawed software.  The only solution that works is to buy third party software to scan and convert to PDF to get acceptable file sizes.

HP, ARE YOU HEARING THIS!!!

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Have you tried NAPS2?

This is a free 3rd party softwate which allows direct PDF scanning.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended
Yes NAPS2 works very well, and is a good solution. It is just disappointing that HP ships their products with defective software that they already know is defective.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.