Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Like others who have posted here, I have been unable to get the printer software to complete installation. The printer is a Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn, approximately 3 months old. I am attempting to install the software on a new HP Z240 workstation running Windows 10 (64 bit). The connection is via USB cable. The printer and its software were previously used with a Windows 7 machine with no problem.

I have attempted, repeatedly, to install the software both from the disk that came with the printer and also from a download of the 126.6 mb HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 Printer Series Full Software and Drivers. The results are the same with either source -- the installation seemingly progresses until the Connect the Product screen progress indicator reaches 99%, at which point it gives an error message "An install operation took too long to execute. This is a fatal error preventing product use. Please restart your computer and run this installer again. If the problem persists, please check the product support web site for your product." It takes about 20 minutes for that phase of the installation to go from 0 to 99%, and then after hanging at 99% for 2 to 5 minutes the error message appears.

I am able to print on this printer, but at minimum do not have the ability to scan from the computer nor is there any indication the I.R.I.S. OCR software is installed.

I have been careful not to connect the USB cable until instructed.

I have tried repeating the installation without first uninstalling and get the same result.

I have used the uninstall function contained on the disk and have removed the printer from the computer using the control panel between installation attempts.

I have tried right clicking to run the setup program as administrator and get the same result.

I have tried installing after clean boots with the Windows firewall off and all functions of the Norton Internet Security software including its firewall function turned to off.

The Event Viewer shows no  Error entry at all, and no entry identifies HP as the source of an event.

I have tried connecting through both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

I have cleaned the recycle and temp folders.

I updated the printer firmware to version 20160331.

The configuration report printed from the printer shows no errors, nor does the printer itself indicate anything is amiss, and confirms the update of the firmware.

I have deselected the optional HP Device Experience and I.R.I.S. OCR software to try installing only the two required files plus the HP Scan program.

Thank you for any assistance resolving this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think I figured out the issue, windows 10 installs its own driver and the installer is waiting for the hp driver to install.

DO THIS DURING THE HP INSTALL PROCESS (when the percentage counter is going)

1. Go into the device manager and find the printer in the list of devices

2. Right click on the printer and select "Update Driver software"

3. Click "Browse my computer for driver software"

4. Select "Let me pick from...."

5. Select the driver named: HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 PCL-6         (Make sure its the one with a dash between the pcl and 6!)

6. Click next and go back to the hp install box and it should now see the printer and continue the install.

-Alex

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Well, to follow up on this I spent close to 2 hours on the phone with HP support, and at this point it appears the tech managed to get things working. The tech needed to take control of the computer. Even so, the normal software installation process failed at 99%. While some of the later processes were hard to follow, as near as I could tell all the necessary software was on the computer but not correctly installed, and the tech managed to activate the necessary elements.

It seemed like a rather inefficient use of tech time, but I do appreciate that HP does support its customers (unlike another computer company whose name is a four letter word).

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue... we have several of these fine MF devices and they all worked great until we upgraded to Win 10 64.  Now, NONE of them work on ANY of our modern workstations.  I've spent at least 12 hours trouble shooting with the usual methods, none of them work.  

HP Recommended

I am not intersted in spending 2 hours with some tech support person to solve what should be a simple 5 minute install... it is nice that HP offers this service at whatever expense to them and their customers, but needless to say how disappointing this experience is.  Looking at the lower Amazon Review ratings (the single stars) it appears this is a common "feature" of this and other HP printers with Win 10 64.  

We are going to mothball the printers for now, using another brand instead... hopefully HP will eventually release a driver that works with Win 10 64 so we can once again enjoy this otherwise wonderful printer!  Go HP!

HP Recommended

Windows 7 64 bit. After a few failed installs, this worked for me. Do a complete uninstall 1st. Install from HP download. After plugging in the USB cable when propmted, immediately close the printer install box that appears. It did pop up a second time, I quickly closed it again. It seems the issue is that the printer continues to install itself. 

HP Recommended

To follow up further, there may have been a defect with the hard drive of the computer. Numerous problems, although seemingly software related, could not be eliminated and the hard drive was replaced. Windows 10 64 bit was installed on the new hard drive, I updated all drivers, the bios, and the chipset drivers. When I then went to install the latest printer driver as downloaded from the HP website (which was more recent than the version that previously failed), the installation went flawlessly. Within 3 minutes it was installed and everything was working.

So possible reasons for the problems are the problematic hard drive, a need to update all critical software, or it may be that there was a problem with the printer driver that was available at the time I had the problems and which has been corrected in the latest version.

Anyway, with what I know now I would suggest that anyone having this problem start by updating all drivers, the bios, and the chipset drivers and operating system for their computer, and ensure that they have the latest version of the printer driver from the HP website.

HP Recommended

I think I figured out the issue, windows 10 installs its own driver and the installer is waiting for the hp driver to install.

DO THIS DURING THE HP INSTALL PROCESS (when the percentage counter is going)

1. Go into the device manager and find the printer in the list of devices

2. Right click on the printer and select "Update Driver software"

3. Click "Browse my computer for driver software"

4. Select "Let me pick from...."

5. Select the driver named: HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 PCL-6         (Make sure its the one with a dash between the pcl and 6!)

6. Click next and go back to the hp install box and it should now see the printer and continue the install.

-Alex

HP Recommended

Alex - your solution was right on. As soon as the correct driver was selected, the installation completed in less than one minute ... thanks!

HP Recommended

Alex, thank you for sharing, that worked for me too!  Finally!  Thanks for taking the time to share.  Pathetic HP could not provide this advice or adjust their install software to accommodate Windows 10.  Very disappointed in HP.

HP Recommended

I tried this thinking it couldn't possibly be that simple, however, to my surprise this worked. The software completed installation in just a few minutes and you dont have to wait 20 mins for it to time out. No need to uninstall anything, just do as this list suggests and all is well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.