Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 1510 Series B2L57B
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi! Recently I've upgraded by laptop's OS to Windows 10 when I've noticed that the toolbox won't work (but the printing and scanning capabilities are still good). So I've returned to the repair shop and downgraded it from Windows 10 to Windows 7. At first it was still okay then 2 days after when I clicked the HP DESKJET 1510 Series icon on my screen it won't open. The same like when it was still in Windows 10. Help me! I've tried to reinstall everything repeatedly and still nothing won't work. I really want to see the Toolbox of my printer so that I can maintain it properly since that I'm taking the printer with me when I will start Med School this August. Please help I've done everything even going back to running everything on the CD that came along with it. Please help!

Also, the guy at the repair shop said that whenever HP will do its regular update the old utilities of my printer are erased. Please help me. Also I need a verification from the statement that that guy said. Please help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Clarissa23,

Thanks for visiting the HP community.  A good day to you. I came across your post where you require assistance regarding installing the printer back on the computer as it is not working correctly after downgrading to Windows 7. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Splendid effort, commendable troubleshooting and superb description of the issue. Kudos to you on that score.

Smiley Happy

• When you try to print do you get any error messages?
  • Have you tried to run the HP print and scan doctor utility?

For a start please try these steps.

Please run the HP print and scan doctor utility from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861   and check if this corrects the issue.

If it does not, then please uninstall the printer software and drivers completely by following these steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 
  • Click on print server properties. 
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Restart the PC again. (Please perform this step only if it is possible. Otherwise, ignore the Regedit step only and perform all the other steps)
  • Then download the latest driver from:http://hp.com/drivers Please select the country and select the correct operating system and install it on the computer. Please follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 
  • This should do the trick for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please.

Regarding the other question, if the old utilities get erased or not it depends on the update. If it is a Microsoft windows update to a different version of Windows 10 then yes the old utilities may get erased.

However, it is not true that if the drivers are updated from HP your other utilities or programs get erased. That this pure fiction. The drivers get updated to the latest version. But if the drivers don’t include some obsolete utilities, that utility may get deleted with a new update.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.  Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solutionas it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Clarissa23,

Thanks for visiting the HP community.  A good day to you. I came across your post where you require assistance regarding installing the printer back on the computer as it is not working correctly after downgrading to Windows 7. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Splendid effort, commendable troubleshooting and superb description of the issue. Kudos to you on that score.

Smiley Happy

• When you try to print do you get any error messages?
  • Have you tried to run the HP print and scan doctor utility?

For a start please try these steps.

Please run the HP print and scan doctor utility from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861   and check if this corrects the issue.

If it does not, then please uninstall the printer software and drivers completely by following these steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 
  • Click on print server properties. 
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Restart the PC again. (Please perform this step only if it is possible. Otherwise, ignore the Regedit step only and perform all the other steps)
  • Then download the latest driver from:http://hp.com/drivers Please select the country and select the correct operating system and install it on the computer. Please follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 
  • This should do the trick for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please.

Regarding the other question, if the old utilities get erased or not it depends on the update. If it is a Microsoft windows update to a different version of Windows 10 then yes the old utilities may get erased.

However, it is not true that if the drivers are updated from HP your other utilities or programs get erased. That this pure fiction. The drivers get updated to the latest version. But if the drivers don’t include some obsolete utilities, that utility may get deleted with a new update.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.  Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solutionas it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you @DavidSMP for the very detailed answer.

It didn't resolved the issue though but at least I've discovered an alternative solution to my problem. 

Thanks once again. It really did helped me so much. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Clarissa23,

I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with a customer that has displayed great credentials as a technician.Fantastic effort. Kudos to you for a job very well done. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Upbutton to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.