Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@KrazyToad

@Senan6806

I am not sure that anything we have done is getting me any closer to a solution.  For 5 years, I have had this HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer conntected to my LAN via hardwire and it has worked perfectly with all devices, including my MacBook Air.  A few months ago, it stopped working with my MacBook.  I followed all the advice in the latest link sent by Senan6806 ("...use the steps available here to...") before I even created this thread:

1. I reset the printing system on my mac - that did not help
  2. I removed the hp printer software from my mac, even deleting the HP folder from the Library/Printers directory - that did not help
  3. I used the Disk Utility to check and correct the any issues with the file system - that did not help.

I have now repeated all those same steps, including additional connectivity tests, following your advice with the printer connecting wirelessly to the LAN.  This has accomplished nothing.  Furthermore, I don't see the logic of your tests - my router and access point are my own, they are not from my internet provider.  They are not blocking anything.  Everything that connects to my network can see the printer.  Additionally, all the shared devices on my LAN, the printers, NAS, Media Server, all have static IP addresses, so nothing using them ever have to find them again after any system reboot.  The MacBook has always been able to see the printer.  Even now it can see the printer.  I just won't print.  This is not a connectivity issue.

I went back through my time machine and recovered the deleted HP folder and restored the printer and printing system to the state it was in prior to when this problem started.  Through the printer icon, I can run the printer utility and see the status, ink levels, etc. But when I try to print anything from an application - adobe, MS-Word, Pages - I see the document in the print queue and it just sits there forever, either never getting past 40% or eventally disappearing from the list, with nothing going on with the printer.  The printer never even lights up.

Going back through my logs of updates to the router, access point, MacBook, and printer, the probem seems to have started when the printer updated from firmware version ~1828AR to ~1829AR.  And that would make sense that this update could be the root cause of the problem, because when you go through the online HP support (downloads and software), put in MacOS 10.13, and look at the list of available products, the list contains Easy Start and Firmware version ~1828AR (which I downloaded but which would not install because it said I was already on a higher version).

Lastly, with the latest update to my iPhones of IOS 12.1.2, they also can see the printer but have stopped printing to it.

I can understand that printers go out of support, because no company wants to sink money into creating, certifying, releasing and supporting updates for a model that is no longer in production.  Normally in these situations, there are no more firmware or driver updates created.  In this case, however, there was a new firmware version created after you stopped supporting this device in the MacOS environment.  So this is a problem you created.  Therefore, I expect you to provide a solution.  Or replace this printer with a new model that is supported.  So please forward this to whomever developed the latest firmware release for this printer and get them to correct whatever bug they introduced.  And in the mean time, if you have an additional test or action that is relevant to this issue, or seems logical, that we have not yet tried, let me know. 

HP Recommended

@Murty72

I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.
Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with printing from my 2 MacBook Air laptops.  iPad and iPhone8 and ThinkPad running Windows 10 still print fine, but all of a sudden, the MacBooks will not print.  Print queue says it sees the printer, Job goes to 11% and hangs, then goes offline stating that it is "busy".  Followed the steps to reset permissions and turned off Malwarebytes software.  I was able to get one job (text file) printed, but now it doesn't work again.  I was able to check ink levels, now I can't.  Also when I try to run print diagnostics, it said that the printer was not connected.  Very frustrating.  

HP Recommended

I was also getting a "Print Error: Please turn printer off, then on".  Followed hard reset procedure then was able to reset printer system and now it works on both MacBook Air laptops!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.