Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had this printer for about 2 years. To give you an idea of how much use it gets, I am still on my first, post-purchase, instant ink refills. So, I doubt very much that any is worn out or broken. I have it connected wirelessly to my HP Envy Desktop PC. I printed out several sheets roughly 3 weeks ago with no issues. Today, I was attempting to print a document and nothing happened. Wasn't even put in the queue.  I tried all the common steps - rebooting my PC, uninstalling drivers & printer software, trying different documents, resetting my printer. Nothing. However, I can scan & print, copy and print, and when I was checking on my printers settings I found nothing awry. In fact, I printed out -from the printer - a printer status report. All came out normal. I did a network test and it determined my printer was connected.

So, the unit has very little wear & tear on it, it is obviously still able to print, and the diagnostic tests I've run sow nothing wrong. Wh, then, will it not print something sent from my PC - like I say it doesn't get stuck in queue because it never arrives in the queue

Any ideas?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @richfed

Welcome to HP Forums!

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

Since you're a part of Instant Ink, I need some information about your subscription.

Since the instant ink account details are confidential, please send me the required information via private message.

I am sending you a private message with the information required. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Cheers

MathewT
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I just discovered that the printer WILL print via the HP Smart App on my iPhone. So, the issue definitely seems to be between my PC and the Printer. I wonder if the 1809 Windows 10 update broke the driver.

HP Recommended

Hi @richfed

Thanks for the update. I received both your messages.

I would request you to run HP Print and Scan Doctor on your computer.

nstall HP Print and Scan Doctor on the computer connected to your printer.

1. Make sure your printer is turned on and connected to the computer.

2. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor, and then follow the on-screen prompts to install and open the tool.

3. On the Welcome screen, click Start to view a list of available printers.

4. Select your printer in the list, and then click Next.

If your printer is not listed or a connection problem is detected, click My product is not listed or select your connection type, follow the on-screen instructions, and then click Retry.

Example of a list of available printers

5. Click either Fix Printing or Fix Scanning.

If you are prompted to install the printer software, follow the on-screen instructions. The software can resolve many printer issues.

Example of a list of available printers

6. Review the list of test results, and then resolve any issues found.

• If you see a checkmark, the printer passed the test.

• If you see a wrench, HP Print and Scan Doctor found an issue and repaired it.

• If you see an exclamation point, the test failed and required user action, but the step was skipped.

• If you see an X, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

Example of the results screen with a problem detected

Let me know if this helps.

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow.

Cheers

MathewT
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

No, I have tried that process already, at least twice. But, I went through it again. Same result. It detects my printer green check mark next to an image of my model. Says, "installed".]  but will not connect. In addition, it puts icons on my desktop [printer 7640 series] and shop for supplies. BOTH try to install the device software instead of doing what they should.

Recap - I can copy & print, scan & print, and print from my iPhone. Cannot directly print from my PC. Device Manager shows no errors. I have reset the printer. I have downloaded fresh installation files from HP, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled. Several times. HP Doctor basically has me run those steps again, but fixes nothing.

HP Recommended

Hi @richfed

Thanks for the update.

What is the wireless led light status on your printer? Is it blinking or steady?

Is your computer connected to the same wireless network as your printer?

Let me know.

Cheers

MathewT
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

LED is a steady blue. Yes, same wireless Network.

HP Recommended

Hi @richfed

Thanks for the update. Let's do a deep uninstallation and re-installation of your printer driver and software.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

Once this is done, restart your computer and then install the Full Feature software and driver from the link below.

Link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/en7640/EN7640_Full_WebPack_40.11.1135.exe

Let me know if this helps you fix the issue.

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my public post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Cheers

MathewT
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

No same results. Not unique to this most recent install, this pop-up error has appeared several times.Hpprinter.jpg

HP Recommended

I think I figured it out. For as long as I've had this printer I never used it via the USB port. I hooked that up, and still nothing. I then ran HP Print & Scan Doctor. It printed a test print from that. Also, it told me that HP 7640 (Network) was my default printer. I checked in Windows, and sure enough, it was, but now there was also a "plain"  HP 7640 appearing as well. I switched to that as my default. Still won't connect wirelessly, but as long as I can print, I am happy.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.