Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello i need help my printer (HP envy 4520) will only print black and white fom my laptop, i have gone on control panel, click on deivies and prienters, right clicked my printer, clicked on printing preferences and there is no option to change to print colour i have also uninstared my software and reinstored it as well but still have the same problem can someone help me please? The printer prints in colour if copying document but have to do it through the printer.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Amylouise1,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to print in color from your HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer.

This issue could occur if the print in black only option is checked in the drivers or the drivers may not be installed properly.

Let's go through a few steps to resolve this issue.

1. In your software application, click Print.

2. Select your printer from the list of available printers.

3. Click the option that opens the Printer Properties dialog box.

Note: Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer Properties, Printer, or Preferences.

4. On the Properties window, click the Paper/Quality or Features tab, depending on your software.

5. Click Advanced, click Print in Grayscale, and then de-select Print in Grayscale or High-Quality Grayscale.

6. Click OK to complete the change.

If the issue persists, then you may need to uninstall and reinstall the drivers by following the steps below:

Step 1: Uninstall the Drivers:

Please follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Also, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.

Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
    • Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
    • Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
    • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
    • Open Devices and Printers.
    • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
    • Click on the Drivers tab.
  2. Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.
  3. Click the Remove button.
  4. Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Step 2: Download and install the Drivers from the link: Full Feature Software and Drivers

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

This worked for me! Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers returned the color option!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I followed your advice, but it didn't work for me. There is no colour/black option in my print preferences, and it still only prints in greyscale.Can you help?

HP Recommended

Hi Annie73.

I have the same issue here.

After I installed windows 10, I installed my HP ENVY 4528 All in One Printer Driver from WEB Installer Which I downloaded from HP Support Page.

So I uninstalled those drivers and installed it from my printer original DVD disk and the problem was fixed.

Link for drivers: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ym3avypwox54mgm/HP_ENVY_4520_Printer_Original_Drivers.zip

If your printer is not HP ENVY 4528 do not worry. This driver is for all 4500 series Printers 🙂

Comment here if your case will be fixed.

Thanks

HP Recommended

This is literally the only solution that works.  I tried all of the others that I could find and nothing worked until I downloaded this original software and installed it.  It looks like the newest software completely removed the color option from the printer preferences under the Paper/Quality tab of the Printer Preferences.

Thanks for posting this link!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.