Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Up until last week my printer was working just fine using non hp cartridges.  Now I find that HP has blocked the use of after  

market cartridges.  I just purchased some cartridges at a very low price point and I need to be able to use these....I cannot afford HP cartridges!

Can anyone tell me how to fix this issue?  

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@hpprinterpro, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

I am glad to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @hpprinterpro, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are getting a cartrige error on your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

As you mentioned you are using non-hp cartridges.

HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges.

If you do not use genuine HP cartridges, the steps in this document might not resolve the issue. To check the authenticity of your cartridges, go to hp.com/go/anticounterfeit.

Try few steps recommended below.

Make sure that the cartridges are inserted correctly

Follow these steps to make sure that the cartridges are inserted correctly.
   NOTE:
Perform these steps only on cartridges that are indicated in the error message.
Slip your fingers into the slot on the left side of the printer, and then pull forward to open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the left side of the printer. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent you proceed.

Make sure that the colored dot on the cartridge label matches the colored dot on the carriage slot.

Push in on the front of the cartridge to release it, and then pull the cartridge toward you to remove it from its slot.

Carefully reinsert the cartridge into its slot, and then push the cartridge forward until it clicks into place.
Repeat these steps for other cartridges, if necessary.
Make sure that no cartridge is sticking out farther than the other cartridges. If a cartridge is sticking out, push it until it snaps into place.
Close the cartridge access door.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot ink cartridge issues with your printer.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply....

After much research into this issue I discovered that HP had a firmware that blocked the use of non HP cartridges.

My frustration finally lead me to contact HP tech support.  The support person took control of my laptop and on his end he downloaded the firmware that I needed so that my printer would work with my cartridges.

That was the solution I needed.....very simple....problem solved!

HP Recommended

@hpprinterpro, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

I am glad to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.