Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello there

I tried every trick I saw in this thread but unfortunately to no avail. I tried everything I could think off, but my pc recognizes it has a photosmart device on, but does not recognize it as a printer. 

Don't know what else to do and if someone would help I'd be much appreciated

Thank you

HP Recommended

I  just printed my entrytickets for the "love your neighbours" party of Tomorrowland Belgium (we live in Boom) so i am very gratefull for your help, it went in a few steps as you told (i was about going desperate...) Thank you so much, Nadia

HP Recommended

Thank you Ghudson! Your solution is still working in 2019!

Since it works just fine it makes me wonder why HP makes it so difficult to install the printer? That does not leave me with a very good impression of HP.

@ghudson wrote:

@ghudsonwrote:

@afterreading the HP Printers - Windows 10 Compatible Printers list @ http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04658195 it states that my HP Photosmart 7660 is not supported for Windows 10 and there are no additional options.

Does anyone know of a generic or other HP certified printer driver that will work for the HP Photosmart 7660 printer with Windows 10?  I have had my HP Photosmart 7660 printer since 2004 and it is the best printer I have ever owned and I hate the thought of not being able to use this printer if I upgrade my computer to Windows 10.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my Windows 7 HP computer to Windows 10. None of the suggestions listed in the HP forums for using another driver with Windows 10 worked for me. Some did get the printer to print but all of the suggestions that would get the printer to print made the printer print extra pages and kept acting like a print job was sent to the printer. I then tried something different and it worked!

Below are the steps I followed to get my old yet faithful HP Photosmart 7660 printer to work as expected with Windows 10.

From the Devices and Printers page in the Control Panel…

1) Click Add a printer

2) Click The printer that I want is not listed

3) Select Add a local printer with manual settings

4) Select use an existing port and change the option to USB001

5) Click the Windows Update button to update the available printer and drivers list

6) Select Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

7) Select Printers: HP Photosmart 7760 series

😎 Enter printer name: HP Photosmart 7660

It is working for me with Windows 10 and the bonus is the advanced options are more than you will want or need. No thanks to HP for not offering a valid suggestion that works to their customers needing a Windows 10 print driver  to use with their old HP Photosmart 7660 printer.

To those of you who found this post and if my suggestion also works for you… Enjoy!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.