Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5740-e
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,   I downloaded HP Assistant and all related software for my 5740-e.  I went through the set up successfully.  Would not print.  I used the HP Doctor software and it would not print a document although it would print a "test page" fromt the HP Doctor.  The error message said it is a software issue with my computer.

The printer does work with my tablet, so it is coneceted to the network.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Tommasini53,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to print from your HP OfficeJet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer. 

This issue could occur if the correct port is not selected or if the windows updates are not up to date.

Let's go through a few steps to resolve this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: Printer is Offline (Windows)

If the issue still persists, then you need to uninstall the software and then download and reinstall it from the links below:

1. Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

2. Full Feature Software and Drivers

Also, let us know if you are able to make a copy from the printer.

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

steps did not resolve the problem.  Printer has "online" and listed as "ready" on the print page for document.     Using the HP Printer/Scan Doctor does not print the document BUT it does allow a "test page" to print.  THe error message at the print Doctor states that the problem is a program error and to uninstall the HP print programs and reinstall.   

This is a new laptop.  Does HP have a program that can test whether i have all of the necessary WINDOWs Updates in place for the HP programs to operate?    thanks in advance for helping me through this...its rather frustrating.  

HP Recommended

SORRY I SHOULD HAVE Added to above.....I have uninstalled ALL of the HP software.  I plan to reinstall.  BUT FIRST, are there any additions/updates to WINDOWs that I need to make prior to reinstalling???  thanks

HP Recommended

@Tommasini53,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

This issue could occur if the corrupted printer software is not completely removed.

Hence, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software:

To completely remove printer driver files from your system:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
    • Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
    • Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
    • Press the WINDOWS key on the keyboard to display the Start screen, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then click it in the search list.
    • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
      • Open Devices and Printers.
      • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
      • Click on the Drivers tab.
  2. Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.
  3. Click the Remove button.
  4. Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Greetings Rainbow23,   that was not successful.  Here is what happens.  The steps you gave me was succesful in completely uninstalling the existing HP Print Drivers.  After those steps I did a restart and then went to the HP website to download the Full Feature Software and Drivers; the HP website correctly recognized my HP Officejet 5740e.  

PROBLEM:  when the DiviceSetup.exe program runs, it creates a blank window and stops and does not proceed; there is no text in the newly created windows box.  All other aspects of my computer run fine while that empty box is open.  I gave it a couple hours to see if it would run through the program; it would not contine.  

It did this same hang-up in previous installation attempts.  i assume this is not a successful intallation???  thanks for your continued assitance.  - Tommasini53

HP Recommended

@Tommasini53

It looks like you were interacting with @Rainbow23, but he's out for the day 

And I'll be glad to help you out.

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

To clarify, the issue is with the installation of the printer full feature software only or does it actually hang up when you install other applications as well?

Did you install any firmware upgrades for your printer? if not use this link to do it: Click here

The other computers you have, do they have win10 as well?

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Greetings Riddle_Decipher,   The HP Full-Feature Software is the only download that i have tried.   I assumed that contains all fo the firmware and driver updates that i need?  Please tell me if i am mistaken on that issue.  

As i said this is a new Sager laptop, Windows 10 64-bit.  Previously I was successfully using a Toshiba that was a Windows 8 updated to Windows 10.   Our HP Officejet continues to work with our iPad.    

Any thoughts??  Should I update the Firmware and basic drivers from the HP Support site??--  Thanks for the fast response -Tommasini53

HP Recommended

@Tommasini53

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

The full feature software contains the entire package and Yes, you are right on that, although, my question about other installations being impacted by lockups, etc...was directed towards the non-HP applications,

did you have any issues installing any of the other apps? if yes, this could be an issue with the laptop and not the printer considering your iPad works fine.

Please go ahead and install the full feature software if the PC doesn't hang or lock up in other apps, make sure you delete all the other HP Printer related apps before you start,

Ensure you've selected the windows 10 on the HP Website before initiating the download.

Also, download the HP Print and scan doctor from the same website, install, run a test and get back to me with the results.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tend to agree that this is a problem with the HP software properly installing on this computer.  As I mentioned earlier, the HP Print/Scan Doctor would not print a test page on the first analysis screen but it would print a  test page on the second analysis at that point the HP Doctor indicated that it is a program problem as the printer is connected to the network and prints a test page.

So, do you believe this could be a driver issue?  Sager's website offers easy links to the driver updates for each  model they sell.  - Tommasini53

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.