Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been  reading the posted threads on this subject. I found these threads when I did  a search for solutions to this issue. I am having the same problem ---- I had never used the HPO Print and Scan Doctor until yesterday. When I clicked on the program window popped up advising that there was a newer version and so I downloaded it. When I tried to launch the program I found that it did not complete the launch step (communicating with the printer)

Problem is that I have never used this program so I don't know if the older version worked either.  Reading some of the earlier posts I saw where it was suggested to uninstall the software -- but --- when I browsed my listing of programs I did not find it listed; so unable to run an uninstall procedure.   l I did a search of my computer and found:

c:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Diagnostics\PSDR\HPPSDR.exe

When I click on the properties I noted:

10.5 MB (11,097.040 bytes)

Create date Oct 13, 2016

File version 1.4.1926.0

Additional information:

1) I downloaded the so called "new version" today ( 2/5/18)

2) After I did the download today it put a shortcut icon on my desktop pointing to this location

3) I don't want to do a restore because I will lose other changes I have made on my computer today

4) I would prefer to uninstall it, but don't know how to do that

Any suggestions ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@kenz1,

Thnks for the reply,

I'm delighted to hear that it's working!

Appreciate your time and efforts.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉  

If you like to appreciate my efforts clicking on 'Accepted as Solution'

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up'

Have a great day Ahead!

Cheers!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @kenz1,

Thank you for joining HP Forums.

This is a great place to get support, find answers

I understand that the print scan doctor is not working.

No worries, I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Are you able to print from the computer?

From where did you download the Print and Scan Doctor?

HP Print and Scan Doctor is a free tool for Windows to help resolve printing and scanning problems.

Use the below link for using Print and Scan Doctor

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03286146

Eagerly waiting for your reply.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello Raj1788. Tks for your message. In answer to your questions:

1) Yes, I have no problems printing from the computer (via USB connection). I had never used the HP Print and Scan Doctor before and I happened to notice this feature in my HP Officejet Pro 8620 desktop application. I happened to notice this tool and decided to run it just to see if it found any problems. But, when I started to use it, a window popped up saying there was a new version of it ---- so I clicked on the download button to get the new version. It appeared to download okay but when I ran it is when I discovered the problem  ---- box popped up when I started the program and at bottom of box is said something like "trying to comunicate with the Printer" and then nothing happened. I tried running it several times but no luck. Also, I could not uninstall it as I said in my original post

2) Paragraph above tells you how I downloaded it

Thank you,

Ken Z

HP Recommended

Hi @kenz1,

Thanks for the reply, 

Try to delete the downloaded file and also clear the Temp files.

Then download the new version of the print scan and doctor.

Let me know how it goes.

Eagerly waiting for your reply.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Tks for your reply Raj1788. Unfortunately that did not hlep. So, I deleted everything in my 

c:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Diagnostics\PSDR\    folder and also deleted my TEMP file contents.  Then I went to the link to download the HPPSC program and it downloaded just fine. The program started and found my Printer  and I clicked on that printer to go to the next step. This is the step that says "Communicating with HP Officejet Pro 8620". The scroll bar scanned from left to right and it got to like 99% and stopped. It just stayed there and nothing happened. After about 10 minutes I assumed it was stalled. 

This is the same results I encountered when I first tried to run this program  from within my HP desktop software. I may just call in to HP support when I get more time unless you have any other suggestions.

BTW, the printer is working fine and that should mean that my computer is communicating with the Printer so not sure why this is happening. I am connected via USB.

HP Recommended

@kenz1,

Thnks for the reply,

Let’s try to fix this issue by doing a clean install. 
Follow the steps mentioned below:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer is present.
Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Restart your computer.

Click the bottom-left Start button on the desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. 
Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

Once done, close device-manger. 
Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
Again, go to Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. 
You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
Now restart your computer again.
Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. 
Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

Click here to download and install the software.

If the issue persists, contact phone support using the below steps.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.
Keep me posted on any other assistance.Hope that helps! 

If you are happy with my efforts "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello Raj,

Thanks for your effort on this issue. I started the procedure as you suggested.  Everything was going well; but when I got to the step to RUN "printui.exe /s" my computer said it could not find that command.

So, I called HP Technical Support and gentleman on the phone took control and fixed everything. So, printer/computer communication is working fine now. But, with the tehcnical support person on the phone I asked him if I could run the HP Print and Scan Doctor to confirm that it is working. He said that I should only run that program if I am having some problems with the Printer --- so we did not run the program. I am afraid to run it now, so I guess I'll just wait until I ma having any troubles with the printer in the future and then try it at that time,

But, thanks for your help anyway.

HP Recommended

@kenz1,

Thnks for the reply,

I'm delighted to hear that it's working!

Appreciate your time and efforts.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉  

If you like to appreciate my efforts clicking on 'Accepted as Solution'

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up'

Have a great day Ahead!

Cheers!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thabks! It worked. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.