Top Student
3 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No way of configuring network settings on Photosmart C4599

HP Photosmart C4599
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I have recently changed my network SSID and need to change the network settings on my C4599 printer so it can connect to the network. I am using a Macbook running macOS 10.13 High Sierra so the software and drivers for the printer are automatically downloaded. Below are the device name and driver version:

Device Name: HP_Photosmart_C4500_series

Driver Version: 5.0.5

The HP Utility does not offer an option to configue the network settings of the printer. How can I get the printer to scan for networks, select the network I want to connect to, and enter the password for it to connect?

The only "wireless settings" physcally avaialabe on the printer are:

1. Print Network Configuration

2. Run Wireless Network Test

3. Restore Network Defaults

I do not have the original software installation CD and the old HP apps that I used a few years ago to configure the printer are no longer on my computer. Any help would be much appreciated.

5 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
19711 1625 6363
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Darth_Shango

The User Guide indicates the printer supports the Embedded Web Server (EWS) as a means to manage / configure the printer.

Use the option you have to print out the Network Configuration

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Although the setup can be different for particular printer, in general, the settings you need will likely be under tab Network, Tools, and / or Settings.  Each "tab" is further broken into "sub sections".

The information in the User Guide is "Windows"-centric; the section on using the EWS to configure / troubleshoot the Network is likely similar enough to be helpful.  (Page 109)

Reference

HP Photosmart C4599 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Darth_Shango Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for taking time to address my issue. Unfortunately the Network Configuration Page says the following:

General Information

Network Status:  Offline

Active Connection Type:  None

URL for Embedded Web Server:  http://0.0.0.0

Firmware Revision:  WRLxFN0823AR

Hostname:  HPFEB26A

Serial Number:  (omitted)

Admin Password:  Not Set

802.11 Wireless

Hardware Address (MAC):  (omitted)

I ran a Wireless Network Test and the Diagnostic Summary it showed that the Wirelelss ON, Wireless Working, and Security passed, but the Network Name Found failed. The Configuration Summary lists the network a "hpsetup" which is not the name of my current network, so I'm not surprised it failed. I no longer have a way of changing any of the network settings for this printer with the current software available. I even switched to Windows 10 via Boot Camp and using a USB cable the OS was able to recognize the printer and download the drivers, but there was still no option to configure the network settings for the printer.

Is it possible to get the legacy software that HP developed for Mac or Windows, so I can access this printers network settings?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
19711 1625 6363
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Darth_Shango

"hpsetup" network:  It sounds like you have Wi-Fi Direct switched on, also known as "ad-hoc" wireless between the printer and the computer.

Standard wireless (that network using a router) is not compatible with Wi-Fi Direct / ad-hoc.

At least on newer printers, the Wi-Fi Direct is switchable (toggle on / off) on the printer panel either as its own button or perhaps under Wireless Settings where you set up / adjust the Wireless network for the printer. 

Network connections and printer panel options are illustrated in the User Guide - Pages 6-7.

Specifications:  Wireless network: Wireless 802.11b/g  

I am not at all the right Expert to direct you about Mac software -- it appears that if you "go back" far enough on the Driver Support page ("Change" the OS), that Mac OS X 10.4 provides a "Full Feature Software" download.  What possible good that does is not something I can answer.

If by Legacy you mean get your hands on the software code, then the answer is No.  Might be "out there" somewhere -- it is not something you'll get from HP.

My apologies for bouncing around on this -- the age of the printer and the OS make it harder for me to advise with any confidence.

@ShlomiL  - Any words of wisdom?

• What on earth is going on with this stubborn old printer?
  • I hate to recommend the Printing system reset -- I seem to recall that this can have "other" consequences.
  • Rats.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Darth_Shango Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I figured it out!!!!

For some reason the current HP software that supports this printer does not include the option to access the printers network settings if it's added via USB. As it stands there is no way to access those settings from the printers built in buttons, display, or menus unless you connect to it via wifi.

I'm not sure the ad hoc mode was working properly on this printer. "hpsetup" is the just default SSID that was set when I restored the network settings to default. Incidently the default network setting for wireless is to turn the printers wifi radio off. I manually turned the wifi radio back on using the limited menus on the printer itself.

The printer was not broadcasting it's SSID and I couldn't connect to "hpsetup" manually. That told me it's just the name of the network the printer is currently looking for. I tested that by plugging in an ethernet cable to hardwire an older Mac and creating an an adhoc wireless network named "hpsetup".

I was able to search, see, and connect to the printer. Now when the software and drivers where automatically downloaded a new button appeared in the window when you click "Options & Supplies...". Under the "General" tab below the device name and driver version information a button labled "Show Printer Webpage..." appeared.

Clicking this button opens the default browser and navigates to:

hpfeb26a.local./index.htm?cat=info&page=printerinfo

This gave me access to the "networking" tab and allowed me to change the settings to the printer could see and connect to my new network.

This worked on macOS El Capitan. I haven't tested it on Windows 10 yet, but now that it's on the network if I switch to Windows 10 it should see it on the network as well. 

Anyway thanks for your help it ultimately lead me to the solution.

Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
19711 1625 6363
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Darth_Shango

You are welcome.

I hoped this would be the case -- ultimately, we learn more by figuring out the answer.  Smiling.

I am glad it is resolved.

Happy Printing!

Side Bar

The printer was introduced in 2008, with general availability marked as 2011.

Consider downloading the User Guide and any of the how-to / troubleshooting documents that you believe may be useful in the future.    When support is terminated for a product, typically at ten years for many consumer products, the accompanying documentation is also closed out.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation