07-12-2018 04:08 AM
I have set up my hp 5821 printer and got the alignment paper from machine.
then when i tried to set the wifi direct , i am not able to retreive the printer password or set up printer wifi
According to instructions i found on various forums i tired to print the password by pressing wifi direct and info button together but it is printing blank paper.
there is no setup menu in my machine.
Please help ASAP.
07-13-2018 11:21 AM
Hey there! @MA261,
Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!
I understand you have issues getting the Wi-Fi direct password on your printer.
Don't worry I'll try to help you out.
Did you make any software or hardware changes to your laptop?
Please share the complete printer model name and operating system you are running on your PC to assist you better.
Try the steps recommended below to configure wireless direct.
Print a network configuration page from your printer it should show the wireless direct password for your printer.
To print the wireless network test report and network configuration page
Press the Wireless button ( ) and the Information button ( ) at the same time.
● The wireless network test report shows the diagnostics results for the status of the wireless network,
wireless signal strength, detected networks, and more.
● The network configuration page shows the network status, hostname, network name, and more.
Also, the default wireless direct password is 12345678
Try the steps recommended below to configure wireless direct on your printer.
1. Make sure you have turned on Wi-Fi Direct on the printer.
2. Turn on the computer's Wi-Fi connection. For more information, see the documentation provided with the computer. NOTE: If your computer does not support Wi-Fi, you are not able to use Wi-Fi Direct.
3. From the computer, connect to a new network. Use the process you normally use to connect to a new wireless network or hotspot. Choose the Wi-Fi Direct name from the list of wireless networks shown such as DIRECT-**-HP DeskJet 5820 series (where ** are the unique characters to identify your printer and XXXX is the printer model located on the printer). Enter the Wi-Fi Direct password when prompted.
4. Proceed to step 5 if the printer has been installed and connected to the computer over a wireless network. If the printer has been installed and connected to your computer with a USB cable, follow the steps below to install the printer software using the HP Wi-Fi Direct connection. a. Depending on your operating system, do one of the following: ● Windows 10: From the computer desktop, click Start, select All apps, click HP, click the folder for the printer, select the icon with the printer's name, and then click Utilities. ● Windows 8.1: Click the down arrow in lower left corner of the Start screen, select the printer name, and then click Utilities. ● Windows 8: Right-click an empty area on the Start screen, click All Apps on the app bar, select the printer name, and then click Utilities. ● Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP: From the computer desktop, click Start, select All Programs, click HP, click the folder of your printer, select the icon with the printer's name, and then click Utilities. b. Click Printer Setup & Software, and then select Connect a new printer. c. When the Connection Options software screen appears, select Wireless. Select your HP printer software from the list of detected printers. d. Follow the on-screen instructions.
5. Print your document.
Refer the printer user guide to know more information about wireless direct printing. Link
Note: Refer page 70 for more information.
Refer this article to know more information about configuring wireless direct on your printer.
If the solution provided worked for you, please mark an accepted solution for this post.
Let me know if this works!
Have a great weekend ahead! :)
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee