Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Office Pro 7740 printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Printer does not print.  When printing document, printer screen goes shows this error.  I've run SCAN doctor 5.1.  All tests OK.  What does this error mean?

IMG_0098 (1).JPG

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @ChrisJ_2017 ,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

In the meantime, please try the steps mentioned below:

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Wait at least 60 seconds.

Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Keep me posted about the results. 🙂

Let me know how that pans out.

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Barachiel,

Yes I've been through the whole troubleshooting sequence recommended by HP about 8 or 9 times.  I even considered our company firewall and VPN may have disturbed the software download file.  So I turned off VPN and Firewall and re downloaded HP software(OJ7740_Basicx64_40.11.1148.exe, installed it(for the 5th time),  and still no success.  I even went into Admin tools>>Print Management to make sure all old drivers were deleted.  I can print from HPEprint without trouble so I know the Ethernet connection is good.  I also can see ink levels via the printer webpage so I know communications are validated a 2nd time.  Seems to be a driver issue with laptop/printer.  Any ideas what a good next step would be?  Latpop Registry modification?? 

You never told me what the 4 circles with vertical line mean is this picture.  Any ideas what this means?  Thanks Chris IMG_0098 (1).JPG

HP Recommended

Hi @ChrisJ_2017 ,

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 
I appreciate your time and efforts.

Follow this link and install the firmware. Let me know if it worked out. 🙂

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Barachiel,

Thank you for the firmware link.  When followed my computer tells me it is the fifth time I've downloaded the firmware.  Also when I clicked run, the tool tells me the printer firmware is up to date.  Pictures attached below.

Also, couple things I've tried since last post.

1)  Tried my spouses laptop and get the same 4 circle error on printer when told to print something.

2)  Also this is interesting.  I configured the printer USB connection with a USB cable successfully.  Tried to print something, the 4 circles came up.  Then cancelled the print job, restarted the printer per HP recommendation procedure.  Then disconnected the USB cable.  Then  tried to print something, obviously it did not.  The printer touch screen displayed its idle screen.  Within 30 seconds I re inserted USB and printer immediately when to the 4 circle error.  The 4 circle error happens on both USB and ethernet configurations.  I will try a desktop PC next and see what happens.

Also, You never mentioned what the 4 circles error means.  Any ideas?

Best Regards,

Chris

This is the fifth time downloading FirmwareThis is the fifth time downloading FirmwarePrinter Firmware is up to date

HP Recommended

Hi @ChrisJ_2017 ,

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 
I appreciate your time and efforts.

I'm sending out a Private message with the reset instructions,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 
Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage 

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.
(The reason we are utilizing the private message is because the instructions are critical,
And we don't want it in the wrong hands, as the printer will be set back to factory defaults).
 Keep me posted,
Good Luck.

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @ChrisJ_2017 ,

Follow the steps to perform a semi-full reset.

1. Press back button 4 times until you see Support menu

2.  Scroll until you see Reset Menu (press right button in thr control panel)

3 Under the resets menu, you will find the  different types of resets, the partial reset, semi-full reset. Select the semi-full reset, and your Printer should start resetting itself.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.
(The reason we are utilizing the private message is because the instructions are critical,
And we don't want it in the wrong hands, as the printer will be set back to factory defaults).
 Keep me posted,
Good Luck.

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Returned the Office Pro 7740 to Office Depot after spending 30+ hours troubleshooting.

HP Recommended

I have same issues worked with HP tech for a few months now and still without any solution

HP officejet 7740 issues.PNG

HP Recommended

I had the same issue and after several failed attampts to get the printer working, here is what I did.  First off, only 1 of my computers caused the failure screen with the 4 circles, it was a lap top.  My desk top, Surface, iPad, Droid and iPhones were all able to print without issue until I printed from my laptop.  So I connected a USB cable from my laptop to the printer.  It downloaded a bunch of drivers.  Then I printed from the laptop with no issue.  I then removed the USB cable from the laptop and printer to print wirelessly and it printed wirelessly!  I am guessing one or all of the new drivers installed when I used the USB cable over road what was originally there from wireless printing setup and corrected the problem.

Don't know if that helps but at least it worked for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.