Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When printing a document or any other item using  Best quality on the Preferences I get a "paper mismatch error".
If I use Normal quality it prints OK.
I ran HP Print and Scan Doctor and it said there was a status issue and that I should replace the cartridges.
I did that but still have the same problem.

Have checked the staus of the Printheads and it says they are both OK

I disabled my Firewall and tried again but still the same problem

I have the latest updates for Windows 10 64 bit

There are 3 desktops connected via Ethernet to the printer and all have the same problem.

I tried to update the firmware but the printer was not detected either by an Ethernet connection or by USB direct cable

I have the latest Software downloaded from HP Support

It seems to me that this must be a problem with the HP Software as I don't see what else I can check?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Welcome to HP Forums @Henri23,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are getting a paper mismatch error only when you try to print in best quality. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Kudos to you for trying a lot of troubleshooting steps on your own.

Recommend you refer to this HP Article to make sure you select the correct paper settings and type. 

Refer to the paper-handling specifications of your printer to make sure the paper you are using is supported by the printer. Click here

If possible, use a paper of different brand. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying.

This was the first obvious thing I tried, don't forget that I have been using this printer for over 5 years - quite successfully until now.

I have even tried deliberately changing the paper size in "Preferences" and then back again  to see if that made a difference.

For example, clicking on A5 paper size say, and then clicking back on A4 before attempting to print.

That made no difference.

This situation applies to all my 4 computers using this printer on an ethernet connection.

They have different versions of Micosoft Office, 2003, 2007 and 2016 and so I don't think the problem is with that Microsoft software.

I am very reluctant to throw this printer away and buy another because it is so much better built than the present range of HP printers.

I have tried all the various steps in the HP Support items and also with HP Print and Scan Doctor.

No improvement.

I did try to reinstall the printer firmware, which I had previously updated a few years ago, but when I ran the software it did not recognise the printer.

I can only think it is a problem with the latest HP driver sofware.

HP Recommended

One last thing I forgot to mention is the paper quality.

I am using "HP Office" paper and so I am sure that is not the problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying a lot of troubleshooting steps. 

I will be sending a private message to you on HP Forums to reset the printer. 

If the issue persists even after the reset, request you to contact our phone support for any trade in or service options available for your printer. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Chimney_83

Thanks for replying by email

You refer to buttons on a touch screen.

My 8500 does not have a touch screen, just a keypad and separate buttons for Fax, Copy, Scan and Photo

I believe I may have done this before by pressing the * and # buttons at the same time, but I can't remember what came after that

HP Recommended

Hello Chimney_83

I think what we are talking about is a full reset to factory conditions.

There is a factory reset, button 8 under tools.

Is this not a full factory reset?

I have checked back and the post I was referring to when I mentioned the two buttons was as follows:-

• Turn the printer off with the front panel button
  •  
  • Disconnect the power cord from the product, and then wait 20 seconds.
  •  
  • Press and hold # and 9 while reconnecting the power cord.
  •  
  • Wait 10 seconds, and then release both buttons. The product resets and prints an alignment page.

However this did not produce anything and there seemed to be some later discussion in the post about how you hit the 9 key

Can you help on this?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. I will be sending you instructions to reset the printer as a private message. 

Let me know if that helped.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your message.

I have tried the suggested steps and sadly it has not worked.

As before, I can print "Normal" quality but not "Best".

I used the 6 and # buttons as you suggested but that did not work.

I noticed that the printer indicated that this was a Semi Reset.

As this did not work I used the 9 and # buttons with the same procedure and then got a Full NUM Reset but this did not solve the  problem either.

During both of  these procedures I noticed that the printer went  through its Printhead alignment routine.

In both instances it reported that after this the alignment had failed.

Also in both instances it failed to print out the full alignment diagnostic page, just the top inch or so.

I have checked the prinhead status and the printer reports that they are both good.

Printing out  a test page also suggests that the print quality is good

Any thoughts on where I go from here would be much appreciated?

It appears as if I have an alignment problem but whether that would cause the paper mismatch error?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. During Semi-full reset the printer does not print any alignment page. 

Alignment and paper mismatch is not related to each other. 

Alignment is related print quality. 

As a workaround setup the printer using Windows built-in drivers after uninstalling the printer software and check if it works. Click here

Recommend you contact our phone support and check on any trade-in options available. 

Keep me posted.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.