Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 9010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use my printer via wireless network and it has been working without problem. I want to have an option to print via USB for occasions when my network is down. The User Guide states "To change from a wireless connection to a USB or Ethernet connection (Windows)
● Connect the USB or Ethernet cable to the printer."

I have connected the rear USB port to my laptop USB port and windows installed a driver and that shows in Control Panel as MTP. However when I attempt to print using this driver it is not shown in my list

Printers shown in Control Panel.png

Trying to print to either of the HP OfficeJets when connected iva USB does not work.

I have Unchecked the option to "Let Windows manage my default printer" in Settings/Printers and scanners but this has not displayed the MTP printer

So I'm stuck having installed the Windows MTP driver but unable to use the USB connection to my OfficeJet to print

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jgunner1948, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Going through your post, I understand that the printer is having trouble printing with your Officejet printer.

Ensure the cable is connected on both ends. Open the device manager and check if the printer gets detected.

Restart the spooler

Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.

Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.

Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.

Go to services again - Start the print spooler.

Let’s first try to fix this issue using HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR). PSDR is an automated tool that can diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. Please go to http://hp.care/2bZ9w2q to download and run HP PSDR. Once you open the program, select your printer and click on “Fix Printing” to automatically diagnose and fix the issue. 

If the issue persists, then I’d suggest you perform a clean install to try and fix the issue:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Deskjet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Use this link to download and install the new driver.

• Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.