Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 9018
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Annoyingly, my OfficeJet Pro 9018 sporadically disconnects from WIFI (approx once/day).  I need to re-boot either my printer and/or my router to get it to re-connect.  What is the root cause of this problem & when will it be permanently fixed? Hasn't this been going on for over a year since this printer first was introduced? Very annoying to have such an unreliable printer.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MaryU Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the OfficeJet Pro 9010 sporadically disconnects from WIFI.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

The printer periodically disconnecting from WiFi is typically a symptom of poor signal strength or interference.

Try running the wireless report on the printer itself and see if there are any indications of a network connectivity issue.  Things like mobile phones, microwaves, IoT devices, Power Lines and wall types can all contribute to issues.

To run the report:

1. Pull down the top menu on the printer control panel and select the gear icon.  (its the first one)

2. Scroll down the list to reports

3. Select Reports

4. Scroll through the Reports list to Wireless Test Report.

5. Select Wireless Test Report

On the page that prints there may be and ATTENTION section at the top with a SOLUTION provided if the printer has determined a problem.

You can also take the look Diagnostics section and look for any red flags like Low Signal Strength or Low Signal Quality. This report will also show the number of times the printer has disconnected form the network as well as if there could be a duplicate network name.

It is a very useful report for troubleshooting issues like this.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

@MaryU 

Please perform the original factory defaults and check.

To restore the printer to the original factory defaults

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Printer Maintenance .

3. Touch Restore.

4. Touch Restore Factory Defaults. A message appears stating that the factory defaults will be restored.

5. Touch Continue.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Reply to Praveen: The router is located approx 3 feet away from the printer. It said I couldn't run the report without the printer connected to the network! So, I had to turn off/on the printer to get it to get connected to WIFI again. Once that was done, I ran the Wireless Network Test Results report.  Signal Strength = Excellent.  Signal Quality = Good.

HP Recommended

@MaryU 

In that case, perform the cold reset and check for the issue.

Cold Reset removes all user-configured settings, including saved administrator passwords, network configurations, stored jobs, selected country/region and language, Address Book entries, and Web Services account information.

You can use this feature if you are selling the printer or giving it to someone else and want to be sure that all personal information has been removed.

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Restore.

4. Touch Cold Reset. A message appears, stating what settings will be restored.

5. Touch Continue.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.