Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion G6 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Pavillion G6 laptop cannot print color on my Officejet 4650 printer.  My other (HP) computers can print color on it.  My iphone 6S+ can print color on it.  So the problem is with only one computer.  My laptop is completely up to date with its Windows 10 software patches.  The Officejet 4650 is completely up to date with the latest supported firmware.  I have tried installing both the latest basic and full driver software from the HP website for the printer.  All to no avail.

I have read all of the proposed solutions on this forum and religiously followed the steps, multiple times.  The only thing I have not done is edit the registry, which I am able to do but reluctant to do without knowing which specific keys to delete (other than generically searching for "officejet 4650).

One person on this forum suggested an approach of uninstalling everything and then reinstalling the printer as a USB attached printer.  If I do this, the Color option appears on the Printer Preferences-Paper Quality tab as an option and I can print color.  If I then use the HP documented process to convert a USB connection to a wireless connection, the process runs successfully to completion and the printer shows as a network connected printer in the Control Panel devices and printers list.  However, when I try to print, I get only black/white output.  Inspecting the Printer Preferences-Paper Quality tab, the color printing option is missing completely.  Clearly the problem relates to installing the printer as a wireless network connected printer on this G6 laptop.  Further, printing from my G6 laptop to my Canon network connect printer works fine (albeit's a monochrome laser printer): so it would appear not to be a problem with the Windows WiFI  software installation.  The G6's Wifi connection works fine in every other respect, with all other browsers etc.

p.s. I also tried a back version of the 4650 download and that has the same problem - no color option on the tab.

Any help with a solution would be much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @galan

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Appreciate you trying the steps, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this issue, they should be able to resolve this by taking a remote access. 

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  My printer was purchased in late 2016 and it is now out of warranty.  However, my printer has very low usage relative to my Canon laser printer that I use for day-to-day printing.  Because of its low usage, my printer is in near new condition, and I am loathed to just throw it away and contribute to climate changing waste.

Contacting HP Support is not a practical solution because I would have to pay nearly $100 when the nearest new replacement printer price is $127.

I see this issue regarding the inability to print in color across multiple HP printers on this forum.  The problem is clearly a software problem and not a hardware problem: at least in my case, and I suspect the same is so for most of the other no color cases.

If HP Support can solve this problem by remoting in, then the solution should be published as it is a defect in the printer products.  While I didn't mention it, I in fact have the identical problem in another HP laptop I own. Both are running Win 10 (current patch level), so the problem is not isolated to just one "rogue" computer.  Clearly there is a software driver defect at the root cause of the problem that prevents the color properties tab appearing, which in turn prevents color printing, and the absence of this properties tab only enables monochrome printing. 

HP Recommended

Have same issue with DJ 4655 and HP desktop PC.... No color options available.. Clearly a Windows 10 update a week or so ago killer the color option in the driver... Was able to correct same situation with my Dell PC by installing a Microsoft IPP printer driver on the Dell, but no luck with HP...

Not going to put out $100 for tech support on a printer I only paid $89 for either...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.