Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Cannot reinstall Officejet 8600 drivers for Macbook Air running Mojave. Actually, I did reinstall the driver, but when I try to print, I get a message that says the laptop can't connect to the printer. I've tried several steps based on HP online recommendations, but to no avail. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,
Please run HP Easy Start below:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip

Immediately upon launching the software, click the top HP Easy Start menu and select Uninstall HP Software.

follow the steps on screen to complete the HP Uninstaller.

Upon completing the uninstall close that window without setting up a new device.

From System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, click the plus sign and select the listed HP printer.

Within the Use drop-down menu, select the HP Officejet Pro 8600 model.

If no such option appears within the Use drop-down menu, install below drivers package and then add it using the printer model:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?locale=en_US

Finally, open the Mac app store and install the HP Easy Scan app too.

Shlomi

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

This didn't work (again). Did the uninstall; then clicked Preferences and printer didn't show up. Eventually I figured out to click on the HP Easy Start icon that had appeared on the bar at bottom of the screen. Went through a couple of steps on that, and finally got it to recognize the Printer. But eventually it said it didn't find any drivers for this printer, and said to click the icon to go to the HP website to get the drivers. When I click that, a new online window opens (see link below), but the screen was blank. I had this same thing happen yesterday -- it just takes me to a completely blank screen. Then I figured out that maybe my Ublock thing was blocking pop-ups from the site, so I turned off the Ublock and a screen immediately appeared that said "Congratulations,, setup is complete" (or something like that), and asked me to click Finish, which I did. But then when I go to the Preferences/Printers & Scanners in my laptop, it shows "No printers are available" and asks me to click Add to set up a printer. But when I do that, it lets me add the Officejet Pro 8600, and asks me to select a driver ("Use: Choose a Driver"). It gives two options. The first is Auto Select; if I click on that, it searches for a few seconds, and then displays "Choose a Driver" again. The second option is "Select Software", which brings up a long list of drivers. If I scroll down and click "HP Officejet Pro 8600," which is what this printer is, it pops up a screen after a few seconds that says: "Setting up Officejet Pro 8600" and then, below that, the line that reads: "An error occurred while trying to add the selected device." 

I am just completely baffled by what is going on here. No matter how I try to do this, I can't get the proper driver loaded onto my new Macbook Air. btw, my wife, who owns a 2-year-old Macbook Air, can still print just fine on the printer. But for some reason, I can't get a driver for the 8600 to download to my computer. What the hell??!! 

https://oss.hpconnected.com/setup-complete/no-ink/?inkSubscription=notOffered&alreadyEnrolled=false&...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.