Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
officejet 8610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My office jet 8610 Will not complet the start up cycle. It will not shut sown while holding the power button. I have unplugged it from the wall. I also have it disconnected from the computer now. When it is plugged back into the wall outlet the power immediately comes back on. However, it freezes with the HP logo on the screen at about 3/4 of the bar under it. It has been unplugged over night and now has been on for  plus hours? Any solutons as to getting this thing back working?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@mikescott

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

Try connecting the Printer to another wall outlet and check if the same happens.

If the issue persists, we will perform a reset on this Printer for which I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This was no thelp. when you plug the printer in it automatically powers on. The start up cycle never completes. It is stuck on the HP Screen. I have atempted teh PM instructions several times. I'm at a loss. 

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem as below! I love my 8610 and have loads of inks - so I'd love to solve this problem. Every once in a while the printer re-boots and is ok for a while. So it feel like a software glitch.  I've tried all the standard re-boot solutions. But like the previous poster, the printer is now permanently stuck in the start up cycle.

"My office jet 8610 Will not complet the start up cycle. It will not shut sown while holding the power button. I have unplugged it from the wall. I also have it disconnected from the computer now. When it is plugged back into the wall outlet the power immediately comes back on. However, it freezes with the HP logo on the screen at about 3/4 of the bar under it. It has been unplugged over night and now has been on for  plus hours? Any solutons as to getting this thing back working?"

HP Recommended

@robacole

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

We'll have to perform a reset on the Printer for this. I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty

I sent you a message about the reset earlier today.  It seemed to work but the printer would not turn on afterwards.  But after a couple of hours I did manager to get it to reboot.  I have no idea why it wouldn't reboot at first.

But the same old problem is happing again.  When the printer restarts, the HP logo shows and there's a progress bar. It gets to about 9/10 of the way along and then the printer freezes.  If I leave it for hours nothing happens.  Usually when I reboot the machine nothing happens.

Occasionally it reboots ok - usually first thing in the morning.  When that happens the printer functions ok for as long as it's left powered on and doesn't have a problem.  But the problems are quite frequent and usually after a few hours or a day something happens and the printer freezes again.

Hope you can help.

Rob

HP Recommended

Hi @robacole

Have you tried updating the printer's firmware? Refer to this document for steps.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita

I've checked the firmware using the HP Easy Start App and it says everything is up to date.  It's all automatic and it doesn't say what version of firmware I'm on.

Is it worth resetting the firmware manually? 

It's not easy doing anything because the printer will not boot up most of the time. It starts but it usually freezes on the first screen with the HP logo. The progress bar gets about 80% across and then it stops.

Very occasionally the machine does boot up properly and it works for a while. I can't work out how it happens sometimes, it just does. Recently it's been stuck on that start up screen - for about a couple of weeks.

Hope you can help.

Regards

Rob

HP Recommended

I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team as this could be a hardware issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.