Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6830
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

My Officejet Pro 6830 has begun making a very high pitched ringing noise when it sits idle. How do I make this stop???

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi folks, can you please try the firmware released 1st June and let me know if that resolves it?

Thanks

Ciara

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-Pro-6830-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/53...

FW_OJ Pro 6830.jpg

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27

View solution in original post

74 REPLIES 74
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem. Just cropped up.

HP Recommended

The noise is likely the power supply.  You will need to Contact HP for service.  In the US or Canada call 1-800-HPINVENt, elsewhere see the contact information here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have a new 6835 that does the same thing.  I spent 60+ minutes with multiple HP tech support employees (making sure my software & drivers were current, plugging it into a wall outlet rather than a power strip, re-setting the printer....  They finally decided to ship me a new one.  Employee said she's never come across such a case.  I told her to search the internet - I'm not the only one.  Interesting to see if the new one has the same problem...  My guess is it will. 

HP Recommended

There's another thread by people who have the same problem:        HP OfficeJet 6830 Whining Noise             

HP Recommended

Mine is doing the same thing and has been used only two weeks.  They need to figure out what happened during the latest update! #HP Read this!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback on this folks. Was it after a recent firmware update? (PNP1CN1517AR, released around 12th May)

Thanks

Ciara 

HP Recommended

Ciara, 

I don't know if it was after a frimware update.  I think the printer is set to update automatically.  Any suggestions on how I could check? 

HP Recommended

I watched my printer do an auto update yesterday and later the same day I began to notice the high pitched noise.  Until yesterday I never heard this noise, so I am pretty sure the update is the cause.  If i do anything to wake it out of sleep the noise stops for exactly 5 minutes which is the sleep setting.

Would someone please look into this?

printer 6812

Firmware version PNP1CN1517RAR

HP Recommended

Folks, thanks for the feedback on this. Bear with us, we're looking into it and as soon as I know more I'll post back...

Appreciate you flagging this

Thanks, Ciara

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.