Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6830 e-All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer is displaying error message:  printhead problem

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@hELP-mE2

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are getting printhead problem error on HP Officejet Pro 6830 Printer. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

When did this issue start?

Did you do any hardware or software changes?

Meanwhile 

Reset the printer

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer.

Remove the ink cartridges

1. Open the ink cartridge access door.

2. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you proceed.

3. To remove the ink cartridge, press the tab on the front of the ink cartridge to release it, and then remove it.

Figure : Removing the ink cartridge

Image: Removing the ink cartridge.
  4. If an orange tab is attached to any ink cartridge, remove it.

Figure : Example of the orange tab

Image: Example of the orange tab.
  5. Place the ink cartridges on a clean piece of paper upside-down with the ink opening pointing up.

CAUTION:

Do not leave the ink cartridges outside the printer longer than 30 minutes. Doing so can result in damage to both the printer and the ink cartridges.

6. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Clean the ink cartridge vents and contacts

1. Examine the vent area located on top of the ink cartridge, next to the HP logo.

Figure : Example of the vent area

Image: Example of the venta area.
  2. If any of the ink cartridges have clogged vents, use a pin to clean the vents.

Figure : Example of a clogged vent

Image: Example of a clogged vent.

Figure : Example of a clean vent

Image: Example of a clean vent.
  3. Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth to wipe any accumulated ink and debris on the copper-colored contact on the ink cartridge.

CAUTION:

Be careful to wipe only the ink cartridge contacts. Do not smear any ink or debris elsewhere on the ink cartridge.

Figure : Example of the contacts on the ink cartridge

1. Ink cartridge contacts

4. Wipe the contact with a dry, lint-free cloth before proceeding to the next step.

5. Repeat the steps to clean each ink cartridge contact.

6. Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free swab to wipe any accumulated ink and debris on the copper-colored contact on the printhead.

Figure : Example of the copper-colored contact on the printhead

Image: Example of the copper-colored contacts on the printhead
  7. Wipe the contact with a dry, lint-free swab before you proceed to the next step.

8. Carefully reinsert each of the ink cartridges into its slot, and then push the ink cartridge down and forward until it snaps into place.

Make sure each colored dot on the ink cartridge label matches the colored dot on the carriage.

Figure : Snapping the ink cartridge into place

Image: Snapping the ink cartridge into place
  9. Run your finger along the top of the ink cartridges to make sure none of them protrude.

If any ink cartridges protrude, press down firmly until each ink cartridge snaps into place.

10. Close the ink cartridge access door.

11. Check the printer control panel display for the error message.

Update the printer firmware

Click here and refer the document to perform the above steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried all the steps as described by Sandytechy20 but the printhead problem doesn't go away.  HP Smart also reports the same problem which doesn't allow to print.

Please let me know if the problem might be related to one of the ink cartridges?  What is the next step if the clean instruction doesn't help.

Regards,

-TonyT 

HP Recommended

I did everything as recommended X 3. It still says there is a problem with the printhead but now has the inclusion of Oxc19a0003. In addition, the colored inks which previously showed adequate levels now indicate very low levels. Can anyone help with this, please?

HP Recommended

Same issue here. Did a full disassembly and methodically cleaned printhead. Still throwing an error. Did updates to software, etc. What else you got? Obviously frustrating when I do all the prescribed and nothing works short of, "Your printer wasn't meant to last that long anyway, time to buy a new one".

HP Recommended

Does ANYTHING solve the problem?

@Buck54 wrote:

Same issue here. Did a full disassembly and methodically cleaned printhead. Still throwing an error. Did updates to software, etc. What else you got? Obviously frustrating when I do all the prescribed and nothing works short of, "Your printer wasn't meant to last that long anyway, time to buy a new one".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.