Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP officejet pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can't print.  When go to settings-printer it states "driver unavailable".  But when I go to "printer server properties" on settings page, it lists 6960 PCL type 4 user mode driver as installed.  (One thing I have noticed every time I tried to re-install is that the printer is listed by 6960 and not 6968 when installed.)

Device Manager: says printer working fine.  I had attempted to uninstall/ reinstall printer and this is notes under "device installed" event:  Driver Management concluded the process to install driver hpygid20_v4.inf_amd64_9464841af4de47ad for Device Instance ID SWD\PRINTENUM\WSD-35835E5E-90C7-4516-A73D-578B45CEC159.003B with the following status: 0x490.

Now when I attempt to print, this printer does not even show up in the list of options.  When I attempt to "add printer" while in document's print screen, the message "active directory domain service unavailable".

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

The HP Officejet Pro 6968 series is the same family as the HP Officejet Pro 6960 series family, that's why you will not see HP Officejet Pro 6968 in the driver.

Can you try this:

* *Note that if there are other printers installed, these will need to be reinstalled after this.

Step 1. Uninstall the HP Software from your PC. Please follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link:
Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02259020
Also, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.
Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

Step 2. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
• Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
• Open “Devices and Printers” (not Win10)
• Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
• Click on the Drivers tab.
• Click on each printer driver and click on Remove

For Win10:
• Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
• Click on the Drivers tab.
• Click on each printer driver and click on Remove
• From the Start menu or the Start screen:
• Open “Printers and Scanners”
• Click on each Printer and click “Remove Device”

Step 3. Backup your registry before making any registry changes, the following resource will show you how:
https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724

Step 4. Update the registry using the Reg file below
Note: this will change some printer related policies for your PC):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1

Step 5. Right click the Start menu and select Run. Type Services.msc and press OK.
Locate and stop the Print Spooler service

Step 6. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers.
Rename W32X86 to W32x86.oldRename x64 to x64.old
Note: if any of these folders fail to rename reboot your PC and then continue following the steps starting from Step 5.

Step 7. Restart PC.

Step 8. Finally, reinstall the HP Software.

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Greenturtle,

Thank you for clarifying the "family" of printer numbers.

In regards to your solution, I unfortunately have no way of confirming that the dropbox document is not contaminated.  What files off the HP website can I use to fix this problem?

HP Recommended

Hi @Shanat 

The dropbox registry cleaner was created by one of our HP Experts created which has helped to resolve issues of similar nature such as yours.

Have you tried HP Print and Scan Doctor? 

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e016-1&h_keyword=dg-PDU

Hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

I went through all of this and it did not work.

I wonder if there is an issue with the printer.  The control shows a “?” When I don’t recall this before.

if I buy an 8035 model if the driver is different and will load.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.