Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
Microsoft Windows Vista

Officejet Pro 8600 Plus stuck in Preparing Printer.  When I press the power button to turn it off the display says "maintenance can not be interrupted" and the printer continues to run in Preparing Printer swirling circle mode.  It has been running 6 hours.  This happened after I attempted to install new MCY ink cartridges (HP).  What to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Phone Support took me thru troubleshooting flow and determined I have a bad print head, cost $128 to replace and then maybe more problems.  Decided to scrap this HP8600.  Bought a new HP 8715 at BJ's on sale for $80.99/  Thanks for you help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi@hendricksd,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I was going through your post and understand that you need assistance in fixing the issue on the printer which is stuck at “Preparing printer”. Is that, right? I will be glad to help you.

I would like to share a simple step which should ideally help you perform eh set up and get the printer back online.

• Make sure the printer is idle, not making any sounds, before continuing.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

Hope that answers you the question. Feel free to reply for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

The suggestion of dsconnecting the power plug from the printer and wall did not help. Now get message on display  "One or more cartridges appear to be damaged", all CYM all listed.  These are new cartridges that have been install during troubleshooting.  I reseat them and then get similiar messages that indicate that one or two or all three are damaged, in a ramdom manner. The warranty end dated on the cartridges is Jan 2018.  What to do ???

HP Recommended

Hey@hndricksd,

Thanks for the response.

I request you to follow the steps from the link below and check is that solves the issue.

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02603397

Hope this helps. Please share for more assistance.

Resolv_S

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I still have the issue of the printer 'thinking' that I have defective cartridges.  They are new, expire date of Jan 2018.  What to do?

HP Recommended

Hey@hendricksd,

Thanks for the response.

Then, I request you to get in touch with Phone support using the link below for further assistance.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Hope this helps. Please share for more assistance.

Resolv_S

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Phone Support took me thru troubleshooting flow and determined I have a bad print head, cost $128 to replace and then maybe more problems.  Decided to scrap this HP8600.  Bought a new HP 8715 at BJ's on sale for $80.99/  Thanks for you help.

HP Recommended

:ThumbUp:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.