Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to install my new printer and have been unable to get it working. I've connected it to my network via an ethernet cable. When running the installation software it detects the networked printer and diplays the correct address as displayed on the printers screen. However at the next stage it says it is unable to detect a printer on the network!

I have followed all of the instructions but to no avail. I tried insatlling it on my HP laptop runing the same version of Windows and it installed fine and works.

I have been through the forums and followed all of the advice given, removed all programs related to the printer. removed device, removed all drivers using printui.exe /s. I have disabled services on systemn configuration and stopped my firewall (Mcafee). All to no avail. The printer shows up under the devices but says unavailable. If I open the HP Smart app the printer shows up and if I go to printer settings and printer reports it allows me to pring a demo page or status report. If I go to the print tab it tells me to install the printer and then I start all over again.

Could you please give me some advice as if I can't get it to work I'll have to return it.

Many thanks

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@rixy52

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out!

As I understand you are unable to install the driver for your printer,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you reinstall the drivers/software from root level to avoid the issue?

Have you considered using the Windows built-in drivers?

While you respond to that, here's what I recommend you do:

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click here to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it.

If the issue persists, please go ahead and install the windows built-in drivers: 

If a full feature driver from HP is not available for your printer, you must install the built-in print driver. A full feature driver for one or more Windows versions is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP print driver is built into the Windows operating system or is installed through the Windows Update feature on your computer. You do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

See the Frequently asked questions in this document for additional information, including how to scan using this driver.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've done all that but still no luck. I've tried connecting using a USB cable. It detects the printer and starts to install the software however after running through 'USB connection in progress' it says unable to detect.

I've tried this using an ethernet cable. Again initially the printer is detected and it displays the correct IP address and says it has installed but when i check in Devicess it says driver unavailable and I cannot print. If I go to the IP address I can actually print a test page and status report but thats it. The same if i try and install using a wireless connection. I have no idea what to do to get this to work.

As I say on my laptop it is no problem but on my main PC no luck.

HP Smart shows the printer but i cannot print and it says driver unavailable.

I've tried installing without using HP software but the same driver problem occurs.

HP Recommended

@rixy52

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Here's a few suggestions that should resolve the issue completely:

Step 1: Restart the computer, printer, and router

Restart the computer, printer, and router to resolve any error states present during the printer setup.

NOTE:

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections, and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Disconnect the power cord from the router.

2. Turn off the printer.

3. Close all running programs on your computer, including the HP software installation window, then shut down the computer.

4. Reconnect the power cord to the router, then wait for the Internet activity light to display a normal connected status.

5. Turn on the printer.

6. Turn on the computer.

7. Try installing the HP driver and software again.

Step 2: Check the network and printer connection status

Make sure your network is working correctly and that the printer is ready for the network setup.

1. Confirm that the printer is ready for the network setup.

• Wireless network connection: On the printer, open the Wireless network or Settings menu to make sure the wireless signal is turned on. Make sure the light next to the Wireless icon  is either on and steady, or blinking.

• Wired network connection: Check that the cable is connected to the printer Ethernet port  and to an available port on the router. The green link light should be steady, and the orange activity light should blink when the cable is connected.

Figure : Connect the cable to the printer and to the router

Connect the Ethernet cable to the printer and to the router
  2. Make sure your printer is not connected to a guest or host network, such as those networks found in schools, hotels, or home networks that allow guest logins. For more information see Can't Print on a Guest or Host Network.

3. If you have a dual band router, make sure it is set to the 2.4 GHz band. If your router is set to the 5 GHz band, the printer cannot connect to the network.

4. On the computer, mouse over the network icon in the notification area to view the network name and status of the connection.

NOTE:

If you are using a Virtual Private Network (VPN), disconnect from it when installing the printer.

Figure : Example of the Wireless icon showing the network name and connection status

Example of the Wireless icon showing the network name and connection status
    • If the network shown is not yours (for instance, if you connected to a neighbor's or guest network), you must reconnect to your own network to complete the printer setup.

• If the network signal strength is weak, move the computer and printer closer to the router, position the devices away from large metal objects such as bookcases, and move away from devices that emit radio signals such as microwaves and cordless phones.

• If the network status is not connected, confirm that your network is working correctly, then check the status again. Make sure a check mark displays next to the network name.

• If an Airplane icon displays, click the icon, slide the Airplane mode slider to Off, then connect to your wireless network.

Figure : Example of Airplane mode enabled

Image: Example of Airplane mode enabled
  5. Try installing the HP driver and software again.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did all that but still no luck. I've disabled the 5GHz so it only operates on 2.4GHz but the same problem persists. It shows up but the network installation fails as it fails to find a connection.

I can access and get the embedded Web Server page. This says the printer is connected, however none of my programs can find it to print. The only thing that comes up is the fax.

HP Recommended

I've had a look at the event log for this and this is what is listed:

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver hpygid20_v4.inf_amd64_2d30296896450b48\hpygid20_v4.inf for Device Instance ID SWD\PRINTENUM\WSD-487A82AA-0899-46FD-A065-9D73207BB2DB.003F with the following status: 0x5. -

UserData - InstallDeviceID

DriverName hpygid20_v4.inf_amd64_2d30296896450b48\hpygid20_v4.inf

DriverVersion 20.79.1.6692

DriverProvider HP DeviceInstanceID SWD\PRINTENUM\WSD-487A82AA-0899-46FD-A065-9D73207BB2DB.003F SetupClass {4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} RebootOption false UpgradeDevice false IsDriverOEM true InstallStatus 0x5

DriverDescription HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 PCL-3

Under the Administration Events there is this:

Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package AD2F1837.HPPrinterControl_80.1.349.0_x64__v10z8vjag6ke6 for user ALIENWARE-PC\Alienware (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20).

HP Recommended

@rixy52,

It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out.

I'm the Raj1988 & I'm at your service.

I reviewed your concern and the entire conversation, did some research and here's what I recommend.

I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

If your product is Out of warranty, then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted on any other assistance.

Hope that helps! Let me know 🙂

If you like to appreciate Riddle_Decipher's efforts clicking on 'Accepted as Solution'

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up'

Have a great day Ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you. I'll do that.

HP Recommended

@rixy52

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.