Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer is connected to PC using wireless connection.  It used to work before doing a clean reinstall of windows 10. Following windows install, the fall creator's update was installed. Current version is 1709 build 16299.214.

I installed HP's latest driver which is listed as "OJ8720_Full_WebPack_40.11.1148". The printer reports that the installed firmware is current.

I installed and removed the printer at least 4 times. I reinstalled windows (clean install each time) at least 4 times. When I send a Word document to the printer, I see it flash in the print queue with a status of "spooling". I've stopped and restarted the print spooler.

The troubleshooter from Manage your device in windows settings, says "There might be problems with HP Officejet Pro 8720. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot."  Looking through the details, all report "Issue not present".

HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.1 reports all is well and I can print a test page from it.  I also can print from Chrome.

This printer is listed as windos 10 compatible and it used to work.  Anyone have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @jpsz,

Thanks for the update, 

As I understand you have already tried all possible troubleshooting steps and still having the issue. I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support so that they can remotely take control of your PC and help you check the settings. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @jpsz,

Thanks for joining the HP Support forums! I would glad to be of your assistance 🙂

I see that your HP OfficeJet printer is printing / scanning fine, but have issues while printing from the MS Office package. I would first suggest a clean install to get this issue fixed. Here are the steps:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Go to Run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.

Restart your computer.

Now click  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ8720/OJ8720_Full_WebPack_40.11.1148.exe to install the software.

Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If the issue persists, the issue could be with the printer permissions. I would suggest giving administrator permissions as suggested below:

Press the "Windows logo key" + "r" to get “Run" - Type "spool" and press ok.

Right-click on "PRINTERS" - Select "Properties"

Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.

Go to "Devices and printers", right-click on the new printer that you installed and select "Printer properties".

Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.

Restart your computer and then try to print.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi Jeet_singh, Thank you for your response. I performed all your listed steps to include changing permissions on the printer and the result is still the same. I can print this thread. I did so to follow your instructions. When I try to print a MS Word 2016 document page, it doesn't print. There's no reaction from the printer. I observe that the document appears to be sent to the spooler as I can see it in the print queue with a status of "spooling". Then it goes away. I'm baffled!
HP Recommended

Hi @jpsz,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's try installing the printer using the Windows built in drivers.

Go to this link: HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver and then follow the "Step 3" to install the printer using the built-in drivers.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to try these steps here: 

1.   On your keyboard, press Windows key ( ) + R, type services.msc in the window that opens, and then click OK.

2.   Scroll through the list of services and find the name Print Spooler.

3.   Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop.

1. After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.
  2. Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.
  3. Shut down your computer from Windows.
  4. Make sure you printer has been unplugged for at least 60 seconds, and then plug the power cord into a power outlet.
  5. Turn on the printer using the power button on the printer.
  6. Turn on the computer and wait for Windows to open.
  7. Try printing again and note what happens.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

I added the printer using step 3 instructions. After finishing these steps, I have two HP Officejet Pro 8720 printers when I go to the windows printer and devices window. I tried to print a test page but nothing printed.

Moving on to the rest of the steps, the C:\Windows\Systems32\Spool\PRINTERS directory is was and is empty. No files are there.

I unplugged the printer from the electrical outlet and insured that it was disconnected for at least 60 seconds.  I restarted the printer and my PC.  When I tried to print a MS Word document, I had to choose from one of the 8720 printers.  I tried each printer and watched the associated print queue.  In each instance, I observed the document "spooling" to the queue and then it disappeared.  Neither printer responded. 

I created a new MS Word document and saved it just to be sure the document I was trying to print was not the issue.  The result is the same.  I see the document spooling in the print queue and then it disappears.

If there are any ideas, please let me know.

thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi @jpsz,

Thanks for the update,

As I understand you have already tried all possible troubleshooting related to printer and software and still having the same issue. In this regard, I would suggest this could be an issue with the computer. 

Try creating a new user account:

It looks like an operating system issue with the machine. TRy to create a new local user and then try to install the printer. Follow the steps here to create a local account on your PC: http://bit.ly/2uu1UNm       

Now, login to the new account and then try to install the printer and check.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.  I followed the previous steps to remove the printer and associated software.  I unplugged the printer and left it unplugged for 30 minutes or so.  I created a new local user and then reinstalled the latest full web pack, version 40.11.1148.  The printer reactes exactly the same.  I can see the print job spooling to the print queue then it disappears.  Theres's no reaction from the printer.

After looking through numerouis print problems, I see very few where the problem was actually solved.  The one that stood out was the GEEK squad located ah HP driver that was bad and was not being removed by uninstalling the software.  After it was renamed from .DLL to .OLD, the software was reinstalled and apparently worked.

Could this possibly me the same cause I'm experiencing?

While I appreciate the assistance provided to date, I want the problem solved.  Given this printer worked before on Windows 10, I would fully expect that it should still work.  The fact that I can see the print job spooling seems to indicate this is an HP issue.  Yes?

HP Recommended

Hi @jpsz,

Thank you for replying,

I would suggest you try these steps here: 

Try to disable the user account access and check again to print from MS office.

Open Control Panel

Go to the following path:

Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts

There you will find the Change User Account Control settings link. Click it.

Alternatively, you can click the Start button to open the Start menu and type the following in the Search box:

uac s

Click 'Change User Account Control settings' in the search results:

In the User Account Control settings dialog, move the slider to the bottom (Never Notify):

Click OK. This will disable UAC.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet_singh

Thanks for the response.

I disabled UAC for the user and tried to print from MS Office.

The results were the same.  I could see the document 'spooling' to the print queue.  After a second, it disappeared.  The printer did not respond.  I did not see  the status of 'sent to printer' which I think is the next step.

HP Recommended

Hi @jpsz,

Thanks for the update, 

As I understand you have already tried all possible troubleshooting steps and still having the issue. I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support so that they can remotely take control of your PC and help you check the settings. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.