Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5544
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Option to print in colour no longer available - HP Envy 5544, Windows 10 (1903)

I've seen this issue raised numerous times before, along with various proposed 'fixes', all of which I have tried.  In my case the problem clearly relates to the HP driver package provided automatically via Windows Update on my Windows 10 Pro x64 machine (version 1903). The HP driver package is 20.79.1.6594. As soon as this driver is installed I lose the option to print in colour, regardless of the printing application used. The colour option is simply gone from the printing preferences, just as others have stated. There is also no greyscale on/off option anywhere in printer settings.

If I remove all traces of the HP driver package and revert to the printer driver bundled with Windows itself then the colour option returns and everything is fine. Unfortunately, Windows Update will quickly install the newer HP driver again and the problem returns.

In conclusion, it would seem that driver package 20.79.1.6594 is the root cause of the problem, at least on my system with Windows 10 (version 1903). The question is, what can be done about it? I really can't be uninstalling drivers and blocking Windows Update every time I want to print in colour from my PC.

I do hope will HP look into this problem as a matter of urgency and release a new driver package which works properly with Windows 10 (version 1903).

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@wiggly1uk2000

I suggest you download the HP Smart App: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hp-smart/9wzdncrfhwlh?activetab=pivot:overviewtab and try printing

You can also refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I appreciate the suggestion but the HP Smart App is limited in what file formats it supports for printing. Even if it enables me to print in colour it's far from being an ideal solution.

For now I have come up with a better solution: Using the Windows Group Policy editor I have blocked driver updates matching the hardware ID of my printer. All other updates are unaffected but anything specifically for the printer gets blocked. Until HP release a new driver that works properly on my PC (Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903) I will stick to the older driver bundled with the OS.

What would be most helpful would be if HP could acknowledge this problem and publicly state (perhaps on this forum) when a fixed driver is available. I'll even beta test them for you!

HP Recommended

@wiggly1uk2000

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding. I'll be happy to assist in any way I can.

HP Recommended

A further update to this thread, I have found only two ways to overcome this issue:

1.  Connect the printer via USB then the colour print options return.
  2.  Block the HP driver update from being installed via Windows Update (as mentioned above). It's more complicated than that if the driver has already been installed as you have to completely remove it first.

It's frustrating that this problem still exists after all this time but the last HP driver update for this printer was in 2017 so it's no wonder that these kinds of problems crop up as newer versions of Windows 10 are released. I can confirm that the problem still exists in Windows 10 version 1909. I wish HP and Microsoft would get their heads together and sort it out.

HP Recommended

@wiggly1uk2000, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add a printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I appreciate the response but this is not a viable solution for everyone as Windows Update will automatically upgrade the driver afterwards to one that causes the issues to reappear. Also, the driver built in to Windows has certain limitations (such as limited options for paper type) so, again, it's not an ideal solution.

The ideal solution would be for HP to fix the issue via a NEW driver and for everyone to be offered the new driver via Windows Update, or via a direct download from your website. Until that happens my previously mentioned workarounds still apply.

HP Recommended

@wiggly1uk2000

I understand your concern. I will definitely convey this across o the concerned team.

Thanks for understanding!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.